Powerbook Feedback

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by $MacUser$, Aug 4, 2005.

1. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

Hey there guys,

Just picked up a new top of the range powerbook about a week ago and wanted to share my experience for any who might be considering one. First off, this thing is a steal with the education discount. I paid $2500 for the system in my sig...retail it would be approching $3000, if not more.

In any case, very refined system. I went to best buy yesterday to compare my Apple with the PC offerings...there is NO contest. Sure, some of them may be marginally quicker, but the fit and finish is HORRIBLE. They seriously look like absolute junk next to a powerbook.

Also, the little features incorperated into the PBook make all the difference. The scrolling trackpad is the bomb, as is the display and keyboard that adjust based upon ambient lighting.

The screen is impressive...the resolution is very nice, despite some PC laptops having a better rating. Just to note, however, that alienware, a company that I regard as among the best in the PC world, still equip their top of the range books with 1440x900...and these are gaming notebooks.

Generally, the aesthetics of the Apple are top notch. Very pleasing to work with this notebook. Also, for its size this thing packs some power. I am amazed at how thin and [relativly] light this PBook is...very impressive indeed. I challenge someone to dig up a PC notebook that is as powerful as this, in a similarly thin package. All the PC books I have seen are at least one and a half times thicker than this...I dont think you can make a notebook any thinner!

Some have argued here that the Sony Vaio notebooks are aesthetically as nice as the PBooks. I would have to strongly disagree. The sonys I saw looked like *****...nothing impressive there at all.

In the end, I am very happy with my purchase. I was reluctant to pick one up this close to an update, but Im not sorry now that Ive been using this one for a few days. If an update came tomorrow Id still be happy with what Ive got here...very happy. Plus, what are they going to offer, a 1.7GHZ 7448, at absolute best? C'mon...

Perhaps the only real complaint I have is the trackpad. Although its great, very often my free hand tends to rest on the corner of the pad. Ill be trying to move the pointer, then realize my free hand is confusing the computer. Im sure Ill habituate myself against this sooner or later.

I find it dissapointing that all the armchair experts here on Macrumors consistently blow off the Powerbook. Im confident that the current PBook can do everying (and more) that 98% of the Macrumors whiners require. Some have been so bold to say the PBook is an arcane piece of *****, which I think is very off base. These books are top notch, the best on the market in my opinion.

Well, that about sums up my powerbook perspective. Anyone else that has a PBook feel free to add your pros and cons...

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that you summed up the PowerBook very well. Hope that it will provide you with years of pleasure. Did you purchase extra RAM? I would also recommend AppleCare.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm happy with mine. I compared it to various Centrino-powered Windows machines and found it quite capable for the weight. The graphics hardware was a major plus even though the processors on the Centrino machines are faster. I do like the 14 inch widescreen form factor but it's rarely part of a great overall machine since they're pushing the 15.4 inch widescreens.

All of the machines look kinda good until you start looking at the layouts of ports and the fit and finish. It's all haphazard no matter how much money you spend.

4. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

$MacUser$,
    Great summary - I agree with you that the PBs are some of the best laptops on the market now.
    I think the sleek design and compactness of them are often envied by non-Mac people.

Also, I think you made a CRITICAL point with your statement:
    "If an update came tomorrow Id still be happy with what Ive got here...very happy."

It's easy to get caught up in worrying about when the next update is coming out & not wanting 'old' or 'outdated' equipment that people forget the primary purpose in buying the computer.
    If you need the machine now, and it does everything you need it to, then it's a good idea to go for it!

Congrats on a great new computer - I'm sure you'll be happy with it for many years to come.
    Best wishes!

5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Congrats on your new Powerbook! Thanks for sharing your story, I love that it speaks so highly of the PB. I also agree that the Powerbook is the best laptop out there, I have yet to see one better. I just sit and stare at my 15", its the sexiest piece of equipment I have ever seen!

6. $MacUser$ thread starter macrumors 6502

The only thing Im waiting for now is that slick Mighty Mouse to come out in bluetooth...I certainly need a wireless mouse but dont want the single button...plus, this will give me a reason to turn on the bluetooth that came with my book.

7. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Indeed. My 15" 1.33GHz PB is a rev or two old, and I may feel a slight pang when they get updated, but I love my PB and never regret having purchased it. Just over a year old, and I keep it pristine with a ScreensavRz, a PowerSleevz, and iKlear. It may not be the latest tech with that G4 bus, but it is plenty fast enough for everything I do. I'll be content with this baby for another couple years, or until the InteliMacs are on rev B at least. ;)

8. Midnight macrumors newbie

Great review! I recently bought a new Powerbook, and I have no regrets. I couldn't be happier with it. Compared to my clunky Dell laptop, and other PC laptops I've seen, my Powerbook is a sleek piece of art.

I also noticed a few Powerbook critics when I was browsing Macrumors forums before buying. I'm glad I ignored them. :D

9. tjlazer macrumors member

I just got a new PB 2 weeks ago! See my sig. I liked it so much I also got a refurb iMac G5 for the kid. Love it! I was on the fence on wheather to get the 15" or 17" I also wanted 128MB VRam for sure so I ended up having to get the super 15" package in the Apple Store. (1GB RAM, 100GB HD, 128MB VRam) It ended up costing just $50 less than the 17" ! I know I got raped on the RAM and HD but I wanted to pick it up local. At the store I decided the 17" was way too big for me. I ended up using the Fed Employee discount so it ended up at around $2400 which is not bad! I also highly recommend the PB! It's the best laptop out there bar none. I wonder what the next upgrade is going to be? 1.8GHz?

10. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I also have a ScreenSavR and was thinking about buying the iKlear, would you say it's the best cleaning product for the Powerbook?

11. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

Welcome to the PB club mate!
    I'm still very much in awe and love with my PB that I bought last June.
    Amazing!
    I have switched 7 friends since... they didn't all buy the 17" though...
    most got 15", a couple 12", a PowerMac, and a new iMac.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I couldn't agree more. Everytime I compare my computer to the other ones out there, I think wow, I really am lucky to have such a nicely crafted one. I think they are stunning.

13. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

I feel that the thing with macs is the overall experience....lots of people compare the speed with PCs or displays...blah blah....but there are NO competitors for the final package....a REAL COMPUTER. It is everything you would imagine and more....everything you would want and more.....everything you need and still more!!!! Having used both and seeing the best offers from both sections, PBs are just "neighbors envy; owners pride" :cool: :) :D

14. Switzermac macrumors regular

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Owning a Powerbook is like sex.......there's no such thing as bad sex, and there's no such thing as a bad Powerbook?

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I thought I kept my PB pretty clean...then I used iKlear for the first time. Incredible difference. I haven't used any other products, so I can't compare, but the iKlear is just awesome.

17. ajampam macrumors regular

ajampam

Couldnt have summed it up better....let me share....everytime I am away from the PB(taking a bath, driving to work, sleeping), there is this huge anticipation when I am nearing the end of that task and can finally get back to work on it....hell, I have slept with it more that I have with my girl friend.....it love man....completely! ;)

18. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'm sorry to hear that. Now I love my PowerBook and all but um WTF! ;)