Powerbook for $500 advise...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjjordan, Jan 21, 2004.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

If you had a chance to get a powerbook G4 400mhz with 20 GB and 256 MB RAM for $500, would you do it? It's in good shape.

I have a friend who wants to sell it and is looking for a buyer. I currently have a powerbook G3 firewire and love it. What do you think? I could probably get a little more than $500 for mine on ebay as I have a CD-RW, lots of RAM, ect.

2. nolem macrumors member

I don't think there will be any use for the marginal increase in speed, but if you aren't going to lose money, then go for it.

3. hobbes3113 macrumors regular

hobbes3113

I agree with nolem in that if you won't lose money to go for it. The speed issue isn't that big a deal, but at least you will be getting a bigger LCD...

4. kidA macrumors regular

i'd go for it if it's got a combo drive. that's a pretty good deal for a great laptop. the speed increase will only be marginal, but it does have a G4 instead of a G3, which is a good thing. the best thing about the purchase would be the widescreen though

5. mms macrumors 6502a

I say you should go for it, especially if you've not losing anything. I haven't actually compared it but I hear AltiVec can make a big difference. The screen size alone is enough reason for upgrading.