Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjjordan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2003
United States
If you had a chance to get a powerbook G4 400mhz with 20 GB and 256 MB RAM for $500, would you do it? It's in good shape.

I have a friend who wants to sell it and is looking for a buyer. I currently have a powerbook G3 firewire and love it. What do you think? I could probably get a little more than $500 for mine on ebay as I have a CD-RW, lots of RAM, ect.

nolem

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2004
I don't think there will be any use for the marginal increase in speed, but if you aren't going to lose money, then go for it.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
I agree with nolem in that if you won't lose money to go for it. The speed issue isn't that big a deal, but at least you will be getting a bigger LCD...

kidA

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
i'd go for it if it's got a combo drive. that's a pretty good deal for a great laptop. the speed increase will only be marginal, but it does have a G4 instead of a G3, which is a good thing. the best thing about the purchase would be the widescreen though

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
I say you should go for it, especially if you've not losing anything. I haven't actually compared it but I hear AltiVec can make a big difference. The screen size alone is enough reason for upgrading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.