Powerbook for a non-graphics user

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by crowdaddy, May 3, 2004.

1. crowdaddy macrumors regular

The time is winding down till i make my final decision...I just need some more confidence/peace of mind.

I am not a graphics/artist/videographer artist, nor do i intend on becoming one. I will probably end up in Medicine, Law or Business.
    However, I like my fast computers when using my appications, internet and games. Games are not a large issue, only once and a while usage. I want the portability of a laptop for univeresity. My gut tells me to max out a powerbook 15 inch. Other side uses include CD burning, DVD burning, tinkering with iLife, and other minor things like that.
    Reasons why I am leaning towards apple is the stability, esthetics, and ease of use. I want a CANDID response, is it worth paying more for the apple if i won't really be utilizing the graphic design capability of the apple system?

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

I felt the same way and bought a loaded 15" go for it you won't regreat it!

3. denm316 macrumors 6502

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I was just curious on why you haven't considered the iBooks. Considering your not a power user... and don't seem to need the absolute fastest out there- the iBooks will certainly do anything you need them to. Generally speaking, unless you are a "graphics/artist/videographer" you don't really need the extra horsepower -nor would you really notice it was there.

For just light use- the average person wouldn't be able to tell too much of a speed difference between the top iBook and the 15" top of the line PBook....and at half the price- might be something to consider.

Or even the 12"PBook with an additional monitor would work as well.

Of course, if money is no object...and you really want the larger screen size, then by all means- it's a perfect little machine.

5. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, can an 12" ibook play games at a tolerable level?

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

No, you can't.

Get the Powerbook if money isn't the biggest concern. The iBooks are nice, but since I assume that you're going to be using your system for more than 1 year, and may keep it for 3 years or so, I think that the 15 inch PB is the best option. Plus if you upgrade the memory card for $50 or so, you get 128MB of RAM. Trust me, its the better long-term option, especially if you play games. An iBook with 32MB of RAM looks rather silly in comparison.

I have a 12" 1GHz Powerbook with 32MB of video memory, do absolutely NO graphics/video/audio work, and would still never go for the 12" iBook unless I was strapped for cash and absolutely needed a new system. Reason: it's a long-term investment, and I'm better off getting the best that I can reasonably afford. I would consider getting a 14" iBook over a 12" PB, but for the price difference, I'd still go with the 12" PB. Its not just the graphics card that's different. The bus speed is slower, and the keyboard is springy. Also, it doesn't look as good or feel as good as the PB when I'm using it.

The 15" is both fast and capable. You'll be "utilizing the capability of the Apple system" when you find that your system doesn't crash or get a virus every 3 days. Plus, you can game.

7. crowdaddy thread starter macrumors regular

Yea that seems to make a lot more sense to me. I am willing to spend around 4800$ CDN on a computer(s). Should I maybe get a 12 PB" for mobility and a iMac 17inch for the desk? Or is that overkill? I priced it out and could get it within my range using the ADC developer discount.

8. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You'd be just as well off if you got a maxed out 15"PB and a separate display....no real reason to have 2 separate computers.