Powerbook Freeze

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 7on, Apr 13, 2005.

1. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Ok this is weird... my powerbook will occasionally hang. It'll pause for like 10 seconds then respond to all the input I added in those 10 seconds in a single instance. I't only been doing this since perhaps Jan or so. I thought it was Konfab but I was wrong. Done it 3 times since deleting konfab, and 2 times were today. All the times were different basically, though all the times I was running Finder, iChat, Safari, Mail, iTunes, and Stickies. I also have Palm Desktop so that software runs all the time (the normal login stuff you get when you install it). It's just been weird is all. I suspected overheating, but if that was the case, the computer would just shut off of something.

2. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

I had to guess at the time but here's in the general time frame the freeze occurred

Doubt it will help though. Did find some interesting things in my console.log though. Like a missingsync plugin being left behind. And a preference pane I downloaded failed to load menucracker.menu. But anyway, I think the problem lies elsewhere though. No other hacks have been done o my system.

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

been running the nightly and weekly cron jobs? Those typically fix a lot of my issues. repair permissions obviously. give those a shot and see what happens.

4. 7on thread starter macrumors 601

7on

yeah, I ran those last night. I have Cocktail and I run the pilot everynow and then (does everything, frankly)

Though I think I may have found the problem. Without that menu extra, my BT menu extra (the Apple one) no longer takes 2 seconds to drop down. It does it instantaneously. I also remember using it (it was a menu extra to change color profiles) about 1 minute or so before these freezes took place. I'll keep you guys posted on any updates. Possibly 10.3.8 broke it, or one of the other updates did.