powerbook freeze

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lazyboy922, Feb 11, 2004.

1. lazyboy922 macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

My powerbook is less than a month old, and it keeps freezing up on me. its usually right after startup, or when i open something like system preferences. I keep trying to troubleshoot the issue. has this happend to anyone else? I hope i didn't get a bad powerbook or soemthing.

thanks

2. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

also, should i maybe try a software re-install for the disk that came with it? would i lose any programs that are on there now?

I also just installed 512 ram from crucial if this helps.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

No need to post twice.

Remove third party ram and see if problem still exists.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yup sounds like a ram issue

take it out, see how it runs, you schould be able to return the stick to crucial who will replace it

5. Calliander macrumors member

This is probably the cause of the issue. Your Powerbook should have come with an Install/Restore DVD. Toss that in and restart the computer holding down the "Option" key. You should get a blueish screen with two gray buttons that have arrows on them. After a while, you should see your HD name on a button and then a few others pertaining to the DVD. Click on the icon labeled "ASD (OF)" and then the forward arrow. ASD is a utility from Apple to test your machine for hardware issues. Usually, if the RAM is the culprit, ASD will tell you. If you don't get a result, try running the computer without the RAM chip and see if you get the issue. You can do that first, but it's always good to see if you can get a verified error to show the vendor you bought the memory from.

Hope that helps!

6. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

oops, sorry about the double post.

I did the drive check that came with the cd, and it said everything was fine.

I just talked to crucial and a new stick is on the way. they were great to deal with.

I will take out the ram tonight and let you know if things are better.

thanks guys

7. lazyboy922 thread starter macrumors 6502

lazyboy922

well i think that the ram was the problem, everything seems to be running fine now. Has anyone else installed crucial ram? has it seemed to work out for you?