Powerbook funkiness

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by irishgrizzly, Jan 15, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Can anyone help figure out what's going wrong with my friends powerbook. It's a 12" and about 3 years old running latest OS.

The keyboard cuts out intermittently every 30-15 mins and won't responded and the trackpad will only produce a right click functionality. This can be got around by a restart, but the problem will start again.

Also in sleep mode (lid down) the mac will wake with the CD drive spinning (with no CD inserted).

2. macrumors 68000

lamina

Don't know if you've tried it yet, but try resetting the PMU (Hold down Apple and Option and P and R once you turn the computer on)

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he's going to do this tonight. I said told him to do it for 3 chimes. Not sure if this will solve it, but worth a try. I'm afraid it may be a hardware problem – maybe the logicboard? or maybe its just some dirt inside the mac or a loose wire.

4. macrumors 68000

lamina

No problem, I'm surprised you didn't get a quicker reply.

If the PMU reset doesn't work, possibly try repairing permissions and verifying the disk in Disk Utility, although I doubt this will do anything.

If those 2 don't work, it's likely there is a hardware problem, and I would run the apple hardware test.