Powerbook G3 500mhz battery reading incorrectly

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sausage dog, Dec 17, 2005.

1. sausage dog macrumors newbie

Hi, this is my first post here:)

I have the following laptop:

Powerbook G3 bronze keyboard Prismo (I think)
    20 gig HD
    384 MB SDRAM
    OSX Tiger

Anyway, the battery was woken up after being in a cupboard for a year and is not being read correctly. A reading from coconut application reveals the following information about the battery right now:

Current Battery charge - 3985 mah
    Maximum battery charge - 4544 mah 87%

Current battery capacity - 4544 mah
    Original Battery capacity - 4600 mah 98%

The battery reader at the top of the screen shows the 87% and I expect nthe computer to sleep very shortly, forcing me to plug in the charger.

Ok it'd down to 79% and all is OK.....

There we go, it went to sleep at 74%

Does anyone know how to get the computer to read the battery power correctly?

Is there anything wrong with the battery itself?

Merry Christmas

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

From what you have said, it sounds to me like a depleated battery, call a local Apple Authorised Service provider and find out how much an exchange battery will cost you, and go from there.

I hope this helps

Alex Price

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well, Coconut only gets its data from the system profiler. So there has to be something wrong there. You could restart the finder if you have more problems, or do a system restart.

Your battery has probably become lazy after doing nothing for a year. Charge it completly and then let it drain completly. Then use it normal for a couple of days, then let it drain again. But it's still pretty good that your battery can hold 87% of its original power.