Powerbook G3 Died! What Happened?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by willmg, May 17, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Aug 25, 2003
    Hey all recently did a clean wipe of my 5 year old Lomard 400, so I could sell it on ebay. It had been giving me some sleep issues, but I seemed to have resolved them. After the wipe(zeroed the drive) I installed OS9 all the way up to 9.2.2 and it was working fine. Then I installed OSX since I had an extra copy of Jag thought it might help for resale. Everything seemed fine and the ocmp was working well, I even got my lucent wireless card working in X. Then I shut the comp down, and the enxt day it started up with a no system icon. Well shoot I figured no bigie, insert CD started it up, no HD found.......eventually I found the HD but I cant write to it or format it or install on it or get it to appear on the desktop. Any ideas? Is this prolly a dead logic board or interface problem? Anyone want a lombard for spare parts? Perfect screen, ram is fine(tested it) and casing except for the DVD drive.
  2. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    dead hdd? maybe you could try seeing if OSX will install on an external hdd connected to it?
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2004
    Firmware upgrade?

With the first generation imac G3s there was a firmware upgrade that was required before installing OSX. I am not sure the same was the case for the old G3 powerbooks, but it might be worth taking a look at the apple web ->http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117