Powerbook G3 Firewire sound problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by js547, Apr 10, 2004.

1. js547 macrumors newbie

I've searched here and google and can't seem to find a solution to my problem. I have a 400MHz Powerbook G3 "Firewire" with a strange sound issue. Sometimes the computer's sound works at boot-up (with the classic apple "ding" sound) and I have sound the whole session. Other times it does not. When it doesn't there is no sound until I re-boot. But not every re-boot will bring it back. I find no rhyme or reason as to when the sound will work and when it won't. I've tried all the permutations of different device connections...still no pattern. And the interesting part is that my computer will not dial-up by modem without the sound working, which doesn't make intuitive sense to me because the the modem should work with the volume completely off. If I re-boot and get the sound on, then the modem's fine. Other than this, the computer has been a powerhouse with no problems. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

specs: Powerbook G4 Firewire
    OS : 10.1.5 (I don't recall this occurring with 9 before I got X, but I really don't remember)
    RAM: 1 GB
    Processor: 400MHz

2. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

well in ur descrpition you say powerbook G3 but at the end you say powerbook G4... i'm lost....

3. js547 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry about that...I meant G3. I guess I'm dreaming about the PB G4 I want to get.