Powerbook G3 Lombard Advice

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by machappymeal, May 6, 2006.

1. machappymeal macrumors member

I have the opportunity to purchase a G3 Powerbook 333mhz Lombard model very, very cheaply, but I am wondering if it will fulfill my requirements. I just want to surf the net via Ethernet and write a few things on Appleworks. The Powerbook has 9.2.2 installed and I have never used it before (used to 10.1 and above). Is 9.2.2 easy to get on the net with? And what should I use (not sure if firefox would work, what about camino?).

Just wondering if it is worth my while that's all.

Specs are 333mhz
    128mb ram
    4 gig

Thanks for any help

2. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

Well, I recently purchased a G3/400 iMac that had 128 megs of RAM. It was working well, except that it was in desperate need of RAM. I added 512, and now it hums along happily.

I put Panther on it. I also don't know anything about 9. I can tell you that my G3/400 with 640 RAM is more than adequate for your stated requirements. The G3 is still a more than valid option for basic computing. And I wouldn't expect that 333 to be significantly less effective. The first thing I would do, though, is get more RAM.

3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    if you add more ram, you can run OS X well.... for web browsing and appleworks, that machine is fine for you... How much is very very cheap :D

4. RacerX macrumors 65832

This hardware should actually be okay for that type of thing. More memory and a larger hard drive would be better, but as a starting point this should be fine.

There is no version of Firefox or Camino for Mac OS 9... in fact, browsing in Pre-Mac OS X systems is getting harder to do these days.

There is no reason you can't install 10.2/10.3 on this system. You won't be able to run a number of things at once with it at 128 MB... and I would advise not doing the "easy install" on a 4 GB drive (deselecting additional languages and printer drivers will help a lot).

Without knowing the price you are paying, it is hard to answer this... you'll need to be the judge.

5. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OS 9... let's see.. download Internet Explorer or... Netscape. Those two should work fine. AppleWorks, if you can find an OS 9 version that'd be good. Connecting to the internet is simple/was for me at least, I just plugged it in and since I use DHCP it configured it automatically. I do, however, recommend getting Panther as you will be able to do a whole heck of a lot more. OS 9 will suit you just fine though. Good luck.

--you could even put Linux on it lol, Ubuntu is great.

6. mturlock macrumors newbie

RE: Powerbook G3 Lombard Advice

I have a Lombard 400, and I still use it very frequently. I only have 128MB of RAM (2x64) and I run 10.3.9 no problem (10.4 won't install, it needs more RAM). iTunes, Firefox, VLC (OSX's DVD player does not work), iChat/MSN Messenger, iPhoto all work fine, and while a little bit slow, it is still not that bad for the price of a Lombard compared to a new MBP or the elusive MacBook...

I got my Lombarrd for $250 off eBay and added a Linksys 802.11g card and i have been happy with it for over a year.

7. machappymeal thread starter macrumors member

Cheap is £80:D . Well it sounds cheap to me anyway. The outer casing/screen is in very good condition.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am sure I have a 128mb stick somewhere as well but presumably the Powerbook comes in at 2 x 64mb sticks. We shall see.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Firefox is a RAM hog, use Camino.... yeah I need Camino.

9. LOZL macrumors newbie

10. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

I like my brand spankin' new machines too, but Mac culture is different...and ppl enjoy having vintage/classic/nostalgia inducing older machines. if im correct, it's not about the raw mHz at this point...it's about "dang, i have a G3 Lombard." correct me if im wrong, collectors/enthusiasts.

...significantly different than a 2 year old PC, which IS essentially a HEAVY paperweight and i see no one collecting old PCs really.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

This could possibly be, one of the most mindless, ignorant, mean-spirited posts ever. Lots of people have lots of old Macs around here. Just because 2 year old PCs suck doesnt mean 7 year old Macs do. PowerBook G3s were such amazingly designed laptops. They still make new PC laptops look like poorly designed junk. I still happily use a PowerBook 1400 (G2) every day.

You're not a true computer enthusiast if you cannot make what you have work for you.

If you are seated in front of a G3 Power Mac and cannot *fathom* what you could possibly do with it under any circumstances no matter how cheaply you acquired it... you are very lost my friend.