Powerbook G3 Modem dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by imspace2, Mar 11, 2003.

1. imspace2 macrumors member

I have AOL and x.2.4 a few days ago the internal modem just stopped getting a dial tone and/or carrier signal or at least that is what AOL says has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know where to get a new clock battery for it?

Also something that just came up the Backlight now turns off at startup once it gets to the login screen
    Oh well I may just Re-install x

2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Re: Powerbook G3 Modem dead?

It is possible that your modem got fried somehow, but first I would go make sure that everything is connected properly, and your AOL and Network system prefpane is setup correctly.

About the clock battery, powerbooks do not have a clock battery. They use the main battery, and there is a small backup battery that is used to keep the RAM only for switching between batteries in sleep mode.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

too bad the whole modem is part of the logic board if i remember correctly. i would take a look at 3rd party modems for you pcmia slot.

iJon

4. imspace2 thread starter macrumors member

Using PC Card

Yeah I found an old Megahertz 56k it works great

So slow I have Aol DSL for my pc but they still don't support macs

I don't pay the bills I hate aol as much as anyone else

5. imspace2 thread starter macrumors member

Solution?

I think I've got it! I believe my modem firmware needs to be updated maybe that would help it does need an update. One catch I don't have a 9 disc or do I have 9 installed so I can't do firmware updates. Guess I'll start looking on ebay or something

6. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

I think the PBG3's modems are replaceable, but not really feasable to replace if they go bad, because of the price of it and the cost of labor.