Powerbook G3 narcolepsy

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by AssassinOfGates, Dec 5, 2002.

1. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    A cardboard box.
    Or however you spell it...

Anywho, i recently inherited my dad's powerbook g3 pismo, and i dont know what's causing it, but it goes to sleep at the slightest bump, even when on a desk!!! I know that before I got it, my dad sent it out to get the logic board replaced, maxed out the ram, and installed airport.

This is driving me nuts, always reawakening the damn thing! I have tried taking out all the consumer accessible parts - HD, airport, cpu module, ram, and put it back. It seems to help, but its a reoccuring problem, and that plastic tab on the CPU module has twisted off, forcing me to use a paperclip through that hole the next time in order to open it.

Has anyone experienced a narcoleptic powerbook? If yes, tell me your story and what you did to fix it. Money is an issue for me, being a high school student.
  2. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    I don't know where the sleep switch is on a Pismo, but it sounds like something is closing that switch when it shouldn't. If that's accessible, try cleaning it. It could also be a short circuit somewhere.