PowerBook G3 TCP/IP configuration help needed

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moonguide, Oct 29, 2003.

1. moonguide macrumors newbie

I'm trying to get a G3 to talk to a router via the G3's built-in ethernet port. I've found the TCP/IP control panel. On various web sites, I've found instructions for configuring this panel. They all say to select ethernet or built-in ethernet. I don't have that option. I have these three:

AppleTalk (MacIP)
    AOL Link Enhanced
    PPP slot 0

I've assumed that I want PPP slot 0, and put the router's IP address, 192.168.1.1, in the Search domains box.

When I try to access the router at that address, I get the error "The attemp to load 'Accessing URL: http://192.168.1.1' failed."

Can someone help me figure out what to do next?

Thanks.

--
    Regards,

Moonguide

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You don't want to use PPP, because that protocol is used for dialup access. MacIP I believe is the one you want to work on.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if 'built-in ethernet' is not showing up as an option, then i suspect something is wrong w/ the ethernet "card".

4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Sounds to me that your machine is not recognizing that it has the ethernet port.

Go to the Apple System Profiler (assuming you have the more detailed one that came out sometime after OS9 was on the market for a while), open it and see if it actually sees the ethernet port. TCP/IP will only list what it knows is available. If the machine doesn't see its ethernet port, it won't list it in the TCP/IP control panel.

If this is a tower case, find a ethernet card listed as "mac compatible" and plug it into the PCI slot. (for powerbooks, find a PCMCIA card also listed as mac-compatible). Otherwise, you may be out of luck for consumer replaceable options.

Have you tried a clean install (from another drive, perhaps) and see if the option shows up when booting from there?

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Re: PowerBook G3 TCP/IP configuration help needed

Just speculating here, but perhaps the AOL Link is messing things up. I remember AOL's software used to conflict with modem use. Perhaps delete that startup item and the ethernet will show up.

what system software are you running?

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it is a powerbook (c.f. thread title)

7. moonguide thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the ideas. Since this laptop actually belongs to a friend, I'll put it back in her lap to decide what to do next. I think the plan is to give up AOL when the cable modem account is active, so we might wait until then (there's another machine sharing the account).

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

--
    Regards,

Moonguide

8. moonguide thread starter macrumors newbie

Resolved: Ethernet on G3

I was able to talk to the fellow who configured my friend's G3 and found out that he had disabled the internal ethernet port to prevent an annoying pop-up window which explained that some program wouldn't run because there was no Internet connection, or words to that effect. He walked me through re-activating the ethernet port using the Conflict Catcher. After that, "ethernet" was one of the options in the TCP/IP control panel. After selecting that, I was able to successfully connect to the router.

Thanks again for all your comments. They made me realize that I who I needed to talk to was the fellow who set up the machine in the first place.

--
    Regards,

Moonguide