Powerbook G4 1.0 Ghz 2.0G RAM capacity with Photoshop CS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by GoldenFingers, Jan 25, 2007.

1. GoldenFingers macrumors newbie

Jan 25, 2007
    Hello everyone,

I need some insight on powerbook G4 (1.0 Ghz and 2.0 Gb RAM.) I am a freelance digital imager and have to work on a massive amount of images very fast and efficiently next week. My company is planning to supply me with that powerbook.
    I will be using Photoshop CS, and I need to batch (mostly rotate and resize) and color correct at least 20 images that are around 4MB at once. Is it possible? If not, how many images can it take?
    I have a Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz Toshiba laptop with 768 MB RAM, and it is quite slow when I try to do the samething on Photoshop Cs2. So, I am quite worried.
    Any opinion wanted! Thank you.
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    20 images literally on the screen at once -- This is puzzling, is there any way to do them sequentially?

The rule of thumb is you need about 768 for OSX and Photoshop code. Photoshop needs enough RAM for 3 to 5 x the size of each image - 5 x 20 x 4 Mb = 400 Mb, more for each additional layer, and more when you do operations like rotating.

Once you start rotating or layering, its possible youre going to have slowdowns even at 2 Gb RAM unless you strip the OSX environment down to the bone, or find a way to open fewer images at once.

The other problem is that you're going to force Photoshop and OSX to do a lot of swapping on and off the hard drive. This type of intense work is one of the few times it might make sense to install a 7200 RPM laptop drive, and.or a fast external Firewire drive to separate your data disk from your scratch disk. If it is a G4 PB with a PCMCIA socket, you might even consider a SATA Cardbus interface and an external SATA enclosure, to dodge around the Firewire bottleneck. All depends on dollars.

Here is more up to date infor from Adobe on PS CS2

"With changes in Photoshop and its memory management, the formula used in the past (that is, 3-5 times the size of your average image) no longer provides an accurate estimate of how much scratch disk Photoshop needs. In Photoshop CS2, you can use the states in your history palette to help you determine how much scratch disk space you need.

Each history state that includes an operation that affects the entire image (for example, when you apply Gaussian blur or unsharp mask to the entire image) creates a full copy of your image at its original size. If your initial image is 500 KB, and you apply Gaussian blur to it, your image will need 1 MB of scratch space. If your history states consist of operations that affect only part of the image, such as paint strokes, only the size of the tiles touched by the strokes are added to the image size. If you count up the number of histories you have where operations have affected the entire image, and multiply your original image size by that number, you'll have an approximate amount of scratch disk space the image will need. If you have applied levels, a reduce noise filter, and an unsharp mask filter to your entire image that's 5 MB in size, the image will need 20 MB of scratch space. "
  3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    I can batch just fine - size and other minor - just fine on my G4 1.25mhz with 1gb RAM in CS2. It doesn't even blink and is normally faster than i expect it to be.

They will be fine then if you CC them individually, I can work with a 12x12 300dpi Master and drop a variety of elements into it - i often have 2-3 pictures open to place on it, and then a variety of smaller elements (I digital scrapbook).

It's not lightening, but i think the Powermac is a "better" computer than the eMac i'm using anyway - so I think you will be fine!

PS: I just re-read that you want the CC in the batch - i think that will be fine too. I can run some of the really long B&W actions out there in what i consider decent time (30 seconds??).