Powerbook G4 1.6 Ghz 17" Vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by color1nski, Feb 6, 2006.

1. color1nski macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    ok so my wife bought me a powerbook g4 1.6 ghz 17" at a great deal, its refurbished , ive wanted a powerbook g4 for the longest now i even tried ebay , yeah but that ended quick , ebay scares me

But i wanted to know if its even worth buying the macbook pro now, versus a year later when apples release on the even newer mac book pro and making g4 obsolete and im just "Hypothetically Speaking" ,

i made the same mistake with my powermac g5 1.6 ghz six months later they releases the 1.8-2.0 to dual 1.8 ghz and now i have pretty much a very low end mac so im wondering should i return this machine and cough up some extra cash for the macbook pro
    can i get peoples advice on this matter the powermac wont be here till friday so i wanted to get some quick feedback before making such a huge jump thanks in advance
  2. ieani macrumors 6502a

Jan 3, 2006
    the states for now
    If the 17-inch powerbook is able to do everything you need to do at a speed your satisfied with then just keep the powerbook and wait for the Rev B or C Macbooks. Power PC will be supported for a long time yet and actually is more useful now then intel macs since more software is availiable for PPC.
  3. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    first you have to remember one thing ... There is always going to be something better coming out next tuesday ;)

if you ALWAYS wait for the latest and greatest then you'll be waiting a long time.

currently the macbook pro is the latest and greatest as it's only NOW starting to ship so no actually has one

SHOULD you go with a MacBook Pro now? well it is supposedly faster, currently it will obviously run MOST programs in Rosetta since few are available as binary.

NOW ... IF you can wait till the fall, i would ... there is a good chance that the Rev B MacBook pro's will be out --- the advantage being NOT that they are the latest and greatest, BUT just about every major mac software maker will have made the Binary leap AND REV B's tend to be more stable because most of the bugs have been worked out after the initial run --- especially in this case with the chip architecture switch
  4. brikeh macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2006
  5. color1nski thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2006
    :D thanks guys , i appreciate the replies , i think i will keep the power book after all it was a very nice gesture in my wifes behalf , thanks again :D