Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by d1ckster, Nov 3, 2004.

1. d1ckster macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2004
    Has anyone ever seen/heard of this? I have recently aquired a G4 and only the top third of the LCD is displaying, then there is a third black, there is then a sinlge pixel line of diplay, then axactly a third black again. I measrued the gaps and they are axactly 70mm apart. I have a service manual and have seacrched the net 2 days looking for similar problems. I need to know if I should replace the diplay unit or if there could be a cable/connector type of issue?

Please, anything, anyone?

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    I bet it is a pinched connector between your gfx card and your display. I would try connecting the powerbook to an external display if you have one and see if that works.
  3. coconn06 macrumors regular

Jun 14, 2003
    King of Prussia, PA
    I can imagine how confused/upset you are, but there's really no need to post a title IN ALL CAPS.

Anyway, if you can't find anything on the net, just call Apple or go to a local Apple store. It sounds like something that will be covered under warranty (if the powerbook is < a year old or you have Applecare), so let the pros do it!
  4. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2004
    I hade a similar problem

I had a similar problem. Accepted when i turned on my pb i just got vertical lines on the dispay that were all diffferent colors until the screen got whiter and whiter until it turned black again and started over, weirddd. and i sent it to apple. The silly gooes on the phone told me the mother board was shot. or something like that but it turned out they just replace the cord from the mother board to the display
  5. d1ckster thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2004
    sorry for CAPS

Thanx for replies, yes it does work on an external VGA monitor. 2001 model so no warranty. Have to DIY no cash. I will take a look at the grapics card display connection, but the only one I have had a look at so far is the big bunch of blue wires behind the hinge from the logic board to the display. I thought the graphics was built in, not a seperate card?
  6. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    Can you scrounge up sixty bucks for an Apple tech to at least diagnose the problem for you? Let them try to pin point the problem and maybe you can fix it - or maybe they can fix it for that amount?
  7. d1ckster thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2004
    btw I'm English and from yorkshire, am I to understand that Apple tech want me to gather a herd of 60 young male deer just to look at the thing? OK I'll see what I can rustle up. :)
  8. powerbookmedic macrumors member

Aug 22, 2003
    Huntsville, AL
    99% of the time you have to replace your display to fix the issue.

We sell this part at our online store, PowerbookMedic.com

Powerbook Parts, Repairs, Upgrades, & More
  9. d1ckster thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2004
    If I have to replace the display I've nothing to loose by prising the display open and prodding about a bit. I have also since heard of many people (3 who I know personally) who have had their displays go wrong, seems this is a very common and lucrative repair for Apple. And I though Bill Gates was the bad guy?
  10. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN

what's this? wait, i think i know! spam!! yay for spam. thanks for never posting like this again.