Powerbook G4 15" dies when put to sleep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kdeleon, Jun 27, 2004.

1. kdeleon macrumors newbie

I have been having problems every so often when I put my PB to sleep, it completely seems like it dies(the sleep light dies and no amount of input activity will wake it)....but i guess it doesn't cause when I press the power button, it doesn't start up...i have to hold it in and do a hard restart to get it to come back on....has anyone else had this problem, and is there a fix for it....PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS!

2. tamara6 macrumors regular

Are you plugging in or unplugging USB or firewire devices while your powerbook is closed (and asleep)?

If I unplug my little USB drive while my pb is closed, it will sort of wake up. But if I open the lid the screen will not come on, but it will be awake (that is, the light will be off, so it must not be asleep). Usually just closing the lid and waiting for it to go to sleep (the light comes on and it starts to "snore") and then opening the lid again will wake it up completely.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

This is usually caused by a program that you leave open glitching up during the "initiating sleep process." In my experience Xchat (an IRC client) seems to do this. Also Soundstudio can do this. Just find the app (if can be a 3rd party menu item too) and quit it before sleeping.

tamara6, it's not that his powerbook wakes up so it's not a usb device. Waking up usually means his computer's LCD comes on and he can interact with the screen. What he is describing is his computer "crashing" while the screen is off. Probably a kernel panic but the screen is off so he can't see that it is.

4. kdeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks...I will just shutdown everythng before I put it to sleep from now on...its probably one of the chat programs like icq or something....AOL seems to glitch out sometimes too...Thanks again!

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, though Safari and iChat have been pretty stable when putting mine to sleep.

6. Winston Smith macrumors regular

tamara6 try opening the lid and after a short pause turn up the screen brightness.

Sometimes this turns off while asleep but as above is simple to cure!

7. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

this happened to me sporadically under one of the Jaguar versions..a future 10.2.x release solved it, and i never experienced the problem again. which version of Mac OS are you using?

8. 7on macrumors 601

7on

ugh.. I've had it do it to me twice today.

Konfabulator
    Mail
    Proteus

Were the only things opened. I was able to reproduce it, but not twice (I opened up these apps again and put it to sleep only to not be able to wake it up but then when I tried it one by one, it woke up fine).

It's crazy.

9. kdeleon thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running 10.3.4 and The only thing that i had running that was the same as yours was Mail....but maybe it doesnt matter WHAT you are running...maybe it is just a hiccup in the system that causes one or more of the programs to hang or something and THAT is what causes it to bug out...well anyway...haven't had the problem since closing everything before sleeping, but I ain't holdin my breath! :p

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I've never had this problem with my 15" powerbook, and I often leave Mail open... You might call Apple and ask them about it... could this be a power supply issue? I have no idea...

*knocks on wood*

Lee Tom

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think I discovered my problem to be this non standard BT dongle that I use.

12. Stevp1 macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue with my 17"PB. I've got no dongles and it happens when nothing is running or bunches of stuff. It was fairly occaisonal, but it seems to be happening more often.

I never thought about the display brightness. I'll try that.

Steve

13. seanatki macrumors newbie

Just try again

When this happens to me (15" PB) I just close the lid again, wait for the blue, sleep light to come on again, then reopen the lid. Everything pops up just fine after that.

As to what causes this to happen, it usually occurs when I go to open the lid while its asleep and I lose my grip on it and it falls closed for just a split second before I can catch it and open it fully. Seems to have something to do with the PB not supplying power to the screen because it thinks the lid is closed when it is actually open. I could be completely wrong, but this is just my two cents.

14. Bumptious Bob macrumors newbie

This might also be caused by a kernel panic while going to/coming out of sleep mode. Check /Library/Logs/panic.log and make note of time/details.

My 12" PB has had LOTS kernel panics since january thanks to some problem with my airport express card. It panics whenever it is picked up by the front corner (asleep or not). Anyways it is worth checking out.

15. Stevp1 macrumors regular

That's what's caused it on occasion for me, but I know it also happens when I open it back up clean.