PowerBook G4 15-inch vs MacBook questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jezza, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Jezza macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2005

I own a PowerBook G4 15-inch, been enjoying it for a long while now, having thoughts of upgrading it :)

Performance Question
    Is the current Black MacBook (when the top of the range Intel processor is installed, and when maxxed out with RAM) faster in overall performance than my now aged PowerBook G4 15-inch? I saw a bloke take out his MacBook at a cafe recently and I was blown away by its compact size (weight is an issue and I'm prepared to compromise large screen size for smaller resolutions and less weight). Schlepping my Powerbook around in my large and well protected shoulder bag is quite literally giving me a pain in the neck.

Software Question
    Will I be able to run Photoshop CS2 and CS3 and Final Cut Express on the MacBook without wishing I'd upgraded to the 17-inch MacBook Pro - weight issues and compact form aside - instead ? currently I uninstalled CS1 from my Powerbook G4 800Mhz 2GB Ram because its performance sucked soo much, I ran back to Photoshop 7 and ImageReady 7.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice,

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Photoshop will run great on the MacBook. CS2 performs ok (well, I only have CS1 and it performs ok), but CS3 is what you really want. CS2 was written for G4 processors, while CS3 is a Universal application, so it should perform great on Intel Macs!
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    CS3 will run great, just make sure you have the 2.0GHz chip, 2GB RAM and enough HDD space to feed a 3rd world country :)
  4. sopp macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2006

I have also same problem. I have defected powerbook (only one ram slot is working) it is 1.5ghz, 1gb ram, 64video, 80gb, 15" etc.. I dont know what to do. Or to stick with my powerbook till I could afford MBP or sell my Powerbook G4 and buy MB? I'm studying business management, but I'm very interested in graphic design and post production (video). What would you advise me to do? Thank you!