Powerbook g4 15" or imac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jul 21, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

I almost bought a 12" Powerbook to.Now i have a chance to buy a nice powerbook 15 for a good price.My very first mac should be what? imag g5 or powerbook g4 15.hmmm

2. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok that must have been a stupid question.sorry guys :eek:

3. colinp macrumors member

I wouldn't say it's a stupid question. It really depends on whether you want more power or more portability.

The iMac G5 will, obviously, be faster than the Pbook, but decidedly less portable (read: not portable at all). Weigh which means more to you and decide with that. You don't mention any specifics on the Pbook, so it's hard to say whether the G5 might be more expensive in the end or not (it would all be speculation anyway). In the end I think it all depends on whether you have a desire for portability or not. Hope that helps!

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If you want portability get the PB. Actually i would recommend you get the PB if it is a Rev C. It's the most stable computer on apples market. The new Rev A computers will be buggy and will not run as well as the Rev C G4's.

5. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I just took delivery on a Powerbook 12in. I had thought about waiting for an iMac G5, but when I heard about the holdup due to a heat issue I decided not to go there. Past experience indicates that rev A products can be buggy. Since I mainly do presentations, and my iBook 600 was a bit long in the tooth. I decided to go with a powerbook. It all depends on what you will use it for...

6. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey thanks guys for the reply.I felt like Jessica Simpson asking Nick "is this fish or chicken" The specs on the pb are stock rev c the price is around 2k I was waiting for a imac g5 to but i dont want to be the guinea pig when they come out or vise versa or something rather.Anyway i can also get a nice little 12" rev c and jam some ram in it.is the 12 screen too small(i want be doing some much stuff on it.I want to learn the os)for surfing,ilife and other little tasks.thanks guys

7. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

the current 15 inch aluminum pbooks are Rev B. Pbooks, I own a 15 1.5 and dont forget the first aluminum 15 pbooks shipped last august as rev a. but this generation has had few if not any problems, i have had zero problems with mine, In terms of speed with the imac g5, there will be a performance difference, but not a signifcant one, because the imac g5 will probably be base model g5 speed wise, apple will offer non cutting edge graphics/hardware with it, while the pbook is top of the line hardware and graphics and even the mobility radeon 9700 is better than a geforce fx 5200or 9600. , go with the pbook

8. Bhennies macrumors 6502

probably not by much- especially if we only see a 1.6 g5 in the imac which is likely.