Powerbook G4 15" - Sleep and Shutdown Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by scator87m, Jan 23, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Ok so here it goes...

I have a Powerbook G4 15" which I've had since they were first released. The only thing I've changed was updating the Ram to 1 gig, and am still running OS X.

As of about six months ago my Powerbook would randomly put itself into sleep mode, weather it be while I was working or while I was away from the computer. Sometimes I coulkd wake it up, but lately it will not awake from hibernation and I have to remove the battery and wait for it to shut off before I can restart it.

I have tried some simple fixes, inlcuding changing every sleep and hibernation option, re-installing OS X, and even running the Powerbook in safe mode for a while. Sometimes the probem won't occur for weeks, then it will occur everyday for days in a row.

I have no idea whats going on, any ideas?

Thanks

2. macrumors 68000

Reflow

Ok I'll have ever reset the Pram or the PMU. Here are the instructions.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the guide.

I'll try it tonight and hopefully it'll work, sounds like it should.

4. macrumors 68000

Reflow

Post back your out come.

5. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have the exact same problem. My Powerbook G4 (1,67Ghz), is going to sleep randomly and for no reason. Sometimes I even have trouble waking it again.

I already tried the enerysaver, re-installing OS X, resetting PRAM, NVRAM and PMU. None of these have solved the problem :-(!

Does anybody have any further solutions???????

6. macrumors 65816

agentphish

It could also be a BAD pmu as well... which is a tough repair to do yourself unless you're pretty comfortable tinkering inside a laptop like a powerbook from what I have gathered.

I thought I had a bad one and looked into it but it turned out to be something else.

The part is like 70-100 bucks or something. Research it on google.

7. macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    thanks for your help. I was just given the advice to check my heat sensors and discpvered that its registereing 206°C on the trackpad temperature :-((((!
    Is there anyway to disable this sensor? or any other way to avoid an expensive repair by apple itself?
    thanks.