Powerbook G4 15"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by vc123, Dec 6, 2005.

  1. vc123 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    #1
    I've a powerbook G4 and it keeps on shocking me is that harmful to the computer? and how can i stop this from happening?
     
  2. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #2
    if your getting electrical shocks from the Powerbook - stop using it now and call apple
     
  3. vc123 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2005
    #3
    i think they r static shocks casue they r pretty weak
     
  4. liketom macrumors 601

    liketom

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    Location:
    Lincoln,UK
    #4
    even still turn it off and get it tested by apple or a certified apple center



    o and by the way --- DON'T LICK THE SCREEN :D ZZz z zzZ
     
  5. Jestered macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2005
    Location:
    Austin, Texas
    #5

    Although static shocks don't feel too bad to you and I, a static shock is plenty enough to fry the parts on the inside of the computer. That is exactly why you are supposed to ground yourself when working on computers because a static shock from walking on carpet and so on, is plenty enough to do damage to the computer.

    It should not be happening and you need to call Apple.
     
  6. wcj912 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2004
    Location:
    Perth, Western Australia
    #6
    I get electric shocks from my Powerbook G4 15" all the time - however, you may find that it only happens when its plugged in to the mains power for recharging. Check your plug to make sure its earthed, if its not, try an earthed plug and see if it makes a difference. Hope this helps:) .
     
  7. smdewart macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2005
    #7
    Are you feeling the "shocks" when you rest your palms on the laptop, i.e., the area just under the keyboard and next to the trackpad? If so, I experience the same problem once in a while. It's probably just static electricity. Are you using a third-party power adapter? I find that I get these "shocks" when using my MacAlly adapter, but not with my Apple one. Possible explanation: the Apple one has a third prong at the end of its extension cord, which grounds the charge; the MacAlly, with its standard two-prong end, does not.

    Hope this helps.
     
  8. jacg macrumors 6502a

    jacg

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2003
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Scientific explanation?

    Have you always got them or is this a new thing? Perhaps you have new shoes or a new carpet? Or is it especially dry weather? YOU could be building up static charge and discharging it on any grounded object!
     

Share This Page