PowerBook G4 17" 1GHz & Airport problems

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cifri, Dec 20, 2003.

1. cifri macrumors newbie

I'm having problems with Airport on my Powerbook G4 17" 1Ghz. Sometimes when I boot up it sees the card and works fine. Other times I'll boot up and it says No Airport card installed. The Software Restore disk sees the card and says its fine all the time. Any help?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Sounds like a hardware fault to me, have you tried all the usual permissions and fsck stuff?

Hard resetting the machine cured a Bluetooth problem I had a while back that was reporting missing hardware, instead of restarting the machine, shut it down, wait for 30 secs or so then restart, 30 secs is way too long really, but works.

That might cure your problem, was it a factory installed card, I'm pretty sure all the 17's came woth the card as standard, mine did.

I'd suggest you have a quiet word with Apple though.

3. cifri thread starter macrumors newbie

Repairing disk and permissions didn't help

I've tried shutting it down and waitting hours then hours and rebooting. Also tried repairing the disk (fsk) and repairing permissions but they didn't help.
    I've talked to the local apple rep and he's clueless as to why it sees the card sometimes and other times not.

4. khpbg4 macrumors newbie

I'm also having problems

Hi I'm also having problems with Airport on my Powerbook G4 17" 1Ghz.
    After hangi'n on VPC 6.1 it said "No Airport card installed". When rebooting on my FW-backup it was all fine again. Rebooting back on harddrive again (with the FW-disk un plugged) and it was up and running as normal... :-D, Running nicely for about a week. It's now back to "No Airport card installed". Now I can't get it back on track :-( Any help? (Been doing back-ups meantime.)

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Mine's running fine, never had a problem.

What OS version are you on, and have you updated the airport firmware and software lately?

I've got 10.3.6, with an AE basestation on V5.5 firmware with Wireless Card Firmware Version: 3.4.4f5 (3.50.37.p4).

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i'd take the card out, put it back in again, if that dose not work reinstall os x, if that dose not work try to find someone with another airport card and swap them to see if it's the card itself, if none of those things fix it i dont have a clue