Powerbook G4 17" display trouble

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MountainiMac, Sep 12, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2010
    A few days ago my powerbook's display went funny... it is almost like a negative effect, but not the actual negative effect that you can do by pressing "ctl+alt+com+8".

The other odd thing is that is has seemed to get a little better in the past day or two on its own. I have attached a picture (the problem is best seen in the upper left portion of the display although this problem does cover the entire screen).

Does anyone know if this is a fixable problem?

Thanks so much for your help.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68040

Dec 7, 2009
  3. macrumors 68040

May 20, 2010
    Boulder, CO
    It could be the graphics card. If it is, in fact the graphics card, then you would need a new logic board.
  4. macrumors 68040

Sep 17, 2009
    i would try a external monitor , if thats working then the internal display is likely dying , if the external has the same symptoms then the logicboard(grafics) is dying definitely
    the cheapest option would be that its neither of the two and only a lose connection due to the hinges came a bit lose , but i doubt that as the usual symptoms of the hinges are a black screen at certain angles

but the good news sometimes it works like that for month and years, so gives you time to safe money for a new display or new logicboard