Powerbook G4 17-inch Battery Replacement

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by syst.m, Dec 12, 2009.

1. syst.m
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

Can anyone recommend a 17-inch battery replacement for a Powerbook G4? I would like to spend less money (actually much less) on this rather than the $130 Apple battery. Any suggestions?

2. OrangeSVTguy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

3. syst.m
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, was kind worried about getting a used one, you really have no idea what your getting.

4. PMB
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

PMB

If you request, and it is a good seller, they should provide the number of cycles, and percent life left, if they do not, move onto another seller

5. syst.m
    Expand Collapse

What is good as far as cycles & % of life left? Maybe tell me good, bad & decent.

6. syst.m
    Expand Collapse

I'm not very familiar with laptops, always had a desktop. Its for my girlfriends laptop.

7. PMB
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

PMB

Ideally you would want to shoot for the fewest cycles, and the highest percentage of life left.

To be honest, you would be better off biting the bullet, and buying a new battery, unless you plan to replace the computer soon, you can also check 3rd party battery manufacturers, they may have something

8. syst.m
    Expand Collapse

That's more what I was wondering, has anyone tried and had a really good experience with a 3rd party battery manufacturer?

9. FightTheFuture
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

yeah, my 12" PowerBook is sporting a battery from fastmac. the prices start at $99 and it's been 3 years and i'm still getting close to 3.5 hours (5 hours with everything off and dimmed). their batteries supposedly have more life than apple's stock. only cosmetic problem i have is that the color doesn't exactly match the aluminum casing. i also bought an off brand ac adapter there, cheap and great for leaving at the parents house.

the only problem is that the site feels a bit flakey. i placed an order for a MBP battery and after 4 days, it still reads as 'processing.' i've written their customer service and i'm still waiting for a reply.