Powerbook G4 17" - Sell or Keep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dogsbody, Jul 19, 2006.

  1. macrumors regular

    #1
    Hi,

    Although I've listed it on the marketplace as a feeler, I'm still not sure what to do about this!

    I bought a 17" PB G4 1.67Ghz etc etc, basically the old top-of-the-range Powerbook, last Sunday for an exceptionally good price, and now I'm not sure whether to sell it on for a large profit or use it. If I sold it on, I'd put the money towards a 17" Macbook Pro (but want to hold on in case there are new enclosures) but I'm really in a quandry.

    What makes matters worse is that I'm typing this on my flakey 15.2" Powerbook with the new one sat in its box with the 2Gb RAM I ordered from Crucial when I was still thinking of using it!

    Help me someone please!

    Am I being greedy?

    Dog.
     
  2. macrumors 6502

    maclamb

  3. macrumors regular

    #3
    Already been there thanks, Maclamb - still not sure what to do though...it's the difficult toss-up between making a profit towards a better mac that I wouldn't otherwise have bought, and using this one and being happy with my bargain...
     
  4. macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    #4
    i dont know if anyone here can really help you make that determination, but:

    - do you think you'll need more power?
    - are you running many apps that aren't yet universal?
    - is having the latest and greatest important to you?
    - is money not a worry (as in, does it not matter that you'll have to pay to upgrade to the MBP)?
    - how long do you want this lappy to last (a brand new MBP will still be a very capable machine for years to come, where as the PB's PPC architecture is already outdated - though still capable)?

    (just a few of the questions you should ask yourself.. i'm sure there are many more!)
     
  5. macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    #5
    Just sell it and make the profit :cool: Return the ram and get a new macbook pro.
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    Felldownthewell

    #6
    I vote sell; if you can make a profit off of an outdated computer, go for it. It is rare that one can make a profit off of the previous generation when the new gen is already available. Sell it and go for the latest and greatest- you won't regret it nearly as much as you will keeping the PB.
     
  7. macrumors regular

    #7
    - do you think you'll need more power? Yup! Movie editing
    - are you running many apps that aren't yet universal? Nope
    - is having the latest and greatest important to you? Definitely!
    - is money not a worry (as in, does it not matter that you'll have to pay to upgrade to the MBP)? Only because I ordered another one of these PB 17" babies to make yet more profit (last one in stock)
    - how long do you want this lappy to last (a brand new MBP will still be a very capable machine for years to come, where as the PB's PPC architecture is already outdated - though still capable)? I'd like it to last, but could likely use this one for a year and sell it for the same price I paid in the first place,,,

    Thanks for that - it's good to have a clear voice of reason when i have these moments of weakness - managed to hold out the night...advert goes in the paper on Sat...
     
  8. macrumors regular

    #8
    Like your thinking - but thought I'd give the new owner the option of buying the RAM off me for cost (only £127).
     
  9. macrumors regular

    #9
    Nice and to-the-point - thanks Felldownthewell...think I'll go down the profit route. I had convinced myself twice already, but having the damned box at my feet every night really wears down the intention engine.:eek:

    I'd rather not regret anything - think my problem is also sentiment (even though I only owned it for a few days, I feel like it's my kid already)!
     
  10. macrumors 6502a

    brikeh

    #10
    I wouldnt sell it, with all the problem the MBPS are having...no way. That is one beautiful laptop and still VERY capable. :)
     
  11. Lau
    Guest

    #11
    I think this is true - it's already depreciated the large amount by the intel ones coming along, so I wouldn't have thought you'd lose that much while waiting for the MBPs. I think I'd be tempted to use the 17", sell the 15" for whatever you can get for it, and then sell the 17" when the new ones come out.
     

Share This Page