Powerbook G4 17" - Sell or Keep

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dogsbody, Jul 19, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

Hi,

Although I've listed it on the marketplace as a feeler, I'm still not sure what to do about this!

I bought a 17" PB G4 1.67Ghz etc etc, basically the old top-of-the-range Powerbook, last Sunday for an exceptionally good price, and now I'm not sure whether to sell it on for a large profit or use it. If I sold it on, I'd put the money towards a 17" Macbook Pro (but want to hold on in case there are new enclosures) but I'm really in a quandry.

What makes matters worse is that I'm typing this on my flakey 15.2" Powerbook with the new one sat in its box with the 2Gb RAM I ordered from Crucial when I was still thinking of using it!

Help me someone please!

Am I being greedy?

Dog.

2. macrumors 6502

maclamb

3. macrumors regular

Already been there thanks, Maclamb - still not sure what to do though...it's the difficult toss-up between making a profit towards a better mac that I wouldn't otherwise have bought, and using this one and being happy with my bargain...

4. macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i dont know if anyone here can really help you make that determination, but:

- do you think you'll need more power?
    - are you running many apps that aren't yet universal?
    - is having the latest and greatest important to you?
    - is money not a worry (as in, does it not matter that you'll have to pay to upgrade to the MBP)?
    - how long do you want this lappy to last (a brand new MBP will still be a very capable machine for years to come, where as the PB's PPC architecture is already outdated - though still capable)?

(just a few of the questions you should ask yourself.. i'm sure there are many more!)

5. macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just sell it and make the profit :cool: Return the ram and get a new macbook pro.

6. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I vote sell; if you can make a profit off of an outdated computer, go for it. It is rare that one can make a profit off of the previous generation when the new gen is already available. Sell it and go for the latest and greatest- you won't regret it nearly as much as you will keeping the PB.

7. macrumors regular

- do you think you'll need more power? Yup! Movie editing
    - are you running many apps that aren't yet universal? Nope
    - is having the latest and greatest important to you? Definitely!
    - is money not a worry (as in, does it not matter that you'll have to pay to upgrade to the MBP)? Only because I ordered another one of these PB 17" babies to make yet more profit (last one in stock)
    - how long do you want this lappy to last (a brand new MBP will still be a very capable machine for years to come, where as the PB's PPC architecture is already outdated - though still capable)? I'd like it to last, but could likely use this one for a year and sell it for the same price I paid in the first place,,,

Thanks for that - it's good to have a clear voice of reason when i have these moments of weakness - managed to hold out the night...advert goes in the paper on Sat...

8. macrumors regular

Like your thinking - but thought I'd give the new owner the option of buying the RAM off me for cost (only £127).

9. macrumors regular

Nice and to-the-point - thanks Felldownthewell...think I'll go down the profit route. I had convinced myself twice already, but having the damned box at my feet every night really wears down the intention engine.:eek:

I'd rather not regret anything - think my problem is also sentiment (even though I only owned it for a few days, I feel like it's my kid already)!

10. macrumors 6502a

brikeh

I wouldnt sell it, with all the problem the MBPS are having...no way. That is one beautiful laptop and still VERY capable. :)

11. Lau

I think this is true - it's already depreciated the large amount by the intel ones coming along, so I wouldn't have thought you'd lose that much while waiting for the MBPs. I think I'd be tempted to use the 17", sell the 15" for whatever you can get for it, and then sell the 17" when the new ones come out.