PowerBook G4 17"

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacCoaster, Jan 29, 2003.

1. MacCoaster macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Washington, DC / Rochester, NY / Lexington, NC
    Guys and gals,

Originally I had thought 12" PowerBook was the best bang for the buck in the entire Apple product matrix.

After several days of debating, coming up with scenarios, realizing better solutions and reasons, I've decided that my next computer purchase, be it from my mom :p is the new PowerBook G4 17".

It was better than the Sony GXR series I was looking at [it is BETTER for me, but let me continue...], my mom and I decided that we each other needed a laptop, and she needed it more--she has an old K6-2 laptop. Plus, at her work, she is used to 800x600 on her 17" screen :)eek: I couldn't stand that). I realized that the larger screen and a little bit lower pixel density was better for my mom, so it's a compromise.

I'm not worried about the 1 GHz G4 as it is a portable. I hear reports about long battery life, but several friends of mine who personally own Titaniums (from 400 to 800) say that battery life really depends how Mac OS X is kicking and they haven't gotten much longer than 2 or 2 1/2 hours. So I think I'm going to get an extra battery.

In all, the PowerBook G4 17" fits perfectly onto our compromise of needs. If only we could find money. :D

Now onto the questions...

1.) Can the two batteries be hotswapped? I.e. on an airplane, switch batteries with a grace period.

2.) I'm not quite sure what Apple is smoking but didn't they have 2x SuperDrive on the website or was it merly a typo and is actually 1x?

3.) Where the hell can I find Lotus Notes 6.0 for Mac OS X? I've surfed IBM's horribly structured web site and still can't find a page on Lotus Notes 6.0 for Mac OS X.

4.) VPNing. My mom VPNs in her work from home. Does Mac OS X have dial up VPN support? How do I confirm that Mac OS X can do my mom's work (i.e. VPN format, etc.).

5.) For BlueTooth, let's say: I've got a BT cell phone and would like to use it with iSync, etc. How would I go by using the cell phone as a modem on Mac OS X so I can use some ASCII-over-phone stuff, like text telephoning, since I'm deaf. An example of this is HyperTerminal. Does Mac OS X has anything like HT that comes with it or is there a good program that can do it?

6.) Should I convince her to throw in another $1,300 for the 20 inch widescreen Apple screen or $1,699 for the Formac DVI. Do you think it's worth replacing my 19 inch CRT with the DVI adaptor/Formac DVI for use on my PC and on the go with the PowerBook if I need a bigger screen. I really like that the Formac has a much higher contrast than the Apple 20".

7.) Aren't there adaptors for car->PowerBook and plane->PowerBook, right? If so, from whom can I buy them?

Thanks,
    Possible future PowerBook owner

2. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Re: PowerBook G4 17"

Ok, I'll try.

1) I believe you can switch the batteries while the Powerbook is sleeping. I am not sure though, because I think this feature was removed from the 12" Powerbook.

2) That was a typo I think. It burns DVDs at 1x.

3. I know it exists for sure. Just look harder. Here is a link for the demo: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/business_finance/lotusnotes.html

4) Sorry, don't know. :(

5) Don't know again. :(

6) I'd rather have widescreen and $400 instead of the high contrast ratio. But it depends on what you want.

7) Not positive about the adapters, although I bet someone makes them out there. Keep looking, you're bound to find something.

Either way, you'll be very happy with your Powerbook! :)

Well, my dad has his 19" @ 800x600. Think about that for a while . . .

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

all you need is a simple dc-ac adapter to connect in the car or plane (if the plane has a dc port). they are about 50-100 dollars. I am not sure if the batteries are hot swappable. I know the 12 inch powerbook isnt because I have already tried. I think the 17 would because it is so big. Also i would get the 20 inch if you want a flat panel, and i would get apple's. remeber to add 100 dollars to the cost of the monitor because you will have to buy the adc to dvi adapter from them to connect it to your powerbook. to use your phone with isync make sure you phone is compatible, chances are it isnt since there is like 6 phones that are supported. You can also vpn i believe, dont know how to do it because i dont do it but I know its supported.

iJon

4. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Re: Batteries - Although nobody has a Al17 yet, the reports from the TiBook owners and owners of the Al12 is that no, you must shut down completely before changing batteries.

Re: Louts Notes and power adapters - you should explore the apple store online, you will find many of your answers there in "software", "accessories" and "mobile gear". Also other parts of the apple site provide great information and I think complete lists of software for OSX (head to the OSX tab)

Also you can browse catalogues (or online) such as MacWarehouse, MacMall etc - they're full of accessories for all sorts of stuff.

Re: VPN / Bluetooth / HyperTerminal - you should visit www.apple.com/support If you search for VPN, it provides details about what OSX has built in and what it supports. You should then take this information to your Mothers SysAdmin. He or She should know based on that information.

The apple support site should provide answers to many of your other questions as well.

Re: Monitors - if you've got the money to burn sure why not. But I don't really see a need to replace a 19" CRT until you need to. It's your money though.

If you've got money to burn, I'd recommend a PowerMate from Griffin Technology, they're cheapish and great little gadgets. You have no idea how much you "need" one until you have it.

5. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Ah, I found a list.

1. Which one would anyone here recommend?

6. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

If that is in the case witht he AlBook 17", how do I save a particular screen timeframe for retrieval on reboot? Chapters are great, but I'm usually in the middle of chapters. :p
    Grrr. Searched for Lotus Notes. Not even on the Apple Store. Perhaps IBM has some weird way to sell it.
    Hmm, I did find some information on CHAP and some other weird stuff that I've never encountered before. I'll print it out and let mom contact her IT guys.
    My 19 inch is sucking so much power that my UPS only can do 5 minutes. :(

7. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Re: Re: PowerBook G4 17"

w00t! Thanks! Awesome to see it as a downloadable 90 day trial. That way, if it doesn't work with the VPN settings, we wouldn't have to spend on unnecessary things!

However, **** just hit the fan. They say they have no OS X native installer. I believe those new PowerBooks do not come with OS 9, am I correct? :(

8. cubist macrumors 68020

The installer should work in classic. However, I have another question...

If you are getting the big-screen portable, maybe you don't need the monitor? Or, if you are getting the monitor, maybe the 15" powerbook would do the job? (Or the 14" ibook for that matter)

I know, the 15" powerbook has crummy hinges and no airport extreme and gets all scratchy, but the screen is plenty big and sharp.

9. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

I'll be wanting to replace my 19" which is currently being in use by my Athlon. I can simply use it on a DVI card on my PC and when I need it on the PowerBook, I can just plug it in.

[edit: btw, Airport Extreme's extra speed is useless to me because I have a 802.11b network here, so either version of Airport would be fine :p]

10. tcolling macrumors member

This is quite an interesting bunch of questions. You don't say this, but is Lotus Notes for your mom, or you?

If your mom is using the laptop to dial into work, and she had a
    K-6 laptop before, I'm assuming that her work uses Windows products.

As far as VPN (virtual private network) goes, the Mac is no different than any other machine. The only difference is that a VPN client will need to be installed on the Mac, and it, of course, has to be Mac compliant, which should be available from the manufacturer of the firewall at her company.

BUT.......

You need to ask yourself (or your mom) what the connection to her network is going to do for her. If she is not running a thin client (Citrix), then there won't be anything she can do, unless her network is already set up and/or has a need for Macs. Of course, a workaround is VPC.

If your mom's company is using Citrix, then she just needs to install the Apple Citrix client (free), and it will appear as a Windows machine. Don't tell her this part, but if her company uses Citrix, it makes almost no difference what type of machine she is using, and she will experience almost no increase in speed by a new machine. That's because the server at the company does the work, and she will be limited by the power of that machine and her choice of access (dial-up, DSL, etc.).

Also, if she is using Citrix, and Lotus Notes is on her company's network, you won't need a copy, she can run it off of their server. That goes the same for any program her company has.

I hope I understood your questions, and that this response helped answer them.

-Tom

11. MacCoaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacCoaster

Re: Re: PowerBook G4 17"

Yup, just for my mom.
    Your assumption is correct.
    Doesn't Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar have VPN features built in?
    Good idea. I'll keep Citrix in mind.
    Where could one download the Apple Citrix client in case one needs it?
    Come again. What if they don't have the Mac OS X version?

But provided the Mac OS X copy, it would just run if I requested it. Am I correct?
    Yes, thanks very much!

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Yes. Go into Internet Connect, File, New VPN Connection Window.

Also, I personally have the Sony Ericsson T68i and I love it. Click the links at the bottom for Bluetooth modem connection directions.

I would go with the 20" Apple Display, but that is my opinion.

At the bottom of the page, there is an airline adapter for PowerBooks...Airline Bluetooth

13. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

14. Macpoops macrumors 6502

I have a PB15 and you can hotswap the battery. Someone said earlier that you can't. Well I just did it about 5 minutes ago so i'm pretty sure it works. You just have to make sure that the PB is sleeping before you do it. I would imagine they kept this feature on the new 17"

15. tcolling macrumors member

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, if she is using Citrix, and Lotus Notes is on her company's network, you won't need a copy, she can run it off of their server. That goes the same for any program her company has.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come again. What if they don't have the Mac OS X version?

But provided the Mac OS X copy, it would just run if I requested it. Am I correct?

I guess I didn't make myself clear. If her company is using Citrix, your computer doesn't actually do anything but screen refreshes. At that point, whatever machine is hooked up is basically a Windows machine, and is mirroring what the server is doing, which is where the software resides and where the processing occurs, your machine is just a way to view what's going on and inputting the information you need to. That's why it doesn't matter what is hooked up, because it doesn't take any power to do screen refreshes.

You don't need your own copy of Lotus Notes. Your mom's company would already have paid for licensing of the program. Again, this assumes you mom's company is set up this way.

The clients can be found at www.citrix.com under downloads. More information can also be found there.

-Tom