PowerBook G4 1ghz or PowerMac 733mhz HELP ME

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rteuscher, Oct 1, 2003.

1. rteuscher macrumors newbie

OK.

I really need some good advice. I just purchased one of the new 12" Powerbooks in order to replace my PowerMac G4 733 (Quicksilver). I have one of the older 22" Cinema Displays. The one with the DVI connector. My whole plan was to have a good enough 12" powerbook to beat out my G4 tower, and thus have a portable and somewhat of a desktop setup. I waited for the 12" PowerBooks to come out with a dvi out (in this case mini-dvi). Have I made a bad choice? Should I return my new 12" powerbook before I even open it and save the restocking fee? Please help me? All the specs seem to be better (i.e. processor speed, ram, bus speed, cache, and comparable graphics card. I think?), but I am concerned about using the mini-dvi out and my cinema display.

Help me I get it tomorrow, and I am going to want to open it!

Thanks
    Ryan

2. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Ryan ---

I think you made a great choice

I had an old 733 tower, and I wasn't impressed by the speed

since then, MAJOR improvements have been made on the G4 Chip --- including the various L2 and L3 caches ---- in addition, does the 733 even have AlitVec?

the 1ghz is an EXCELLENT processor

you made the right choice

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Even my 867 "seemed" as fast or faster than my moms old 733 QS. You made a right desicion provided you make the powerbook out with atleast 768 ram and do get a firewire hard drive. that 4200 rpm drive sucks, although i belive the 733 QS shipped with a 5400 so it wont be that much worse, but trust me, do that and with the cinima display you have a VERY portable desktop. and yes the 733 had altivec, its what a g4 is.

4. rteuscher thread starter macrumors newbie

Mostly I am concerned that the graphics card will be worse on my new 12" than the 733 graphics card. Is this going to be problem? Will I still be able to get my good resolution and will the graphics be any faster than my 733?

5. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

gefrorce 4mx or ati radeon 7500?? ours had a radeon 7500 and i got about the same graphics out of it as the tower one mine. I think the card should be about the same, since the new ones are FX5200, not great cards, but the replacment for nvidia's old geforce4mx cards, so they should do the job. if you have a geforce4mx in your tower, then for the most part your performance should be better.

6. advres Guest

advres

do yourself a favor and get a 15" just my $0.02

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i know there is a lil busting on the 733 quicksilver, it had no l3 by the way but what you may not know is that it does very well with upgrades such as owc 1.4 with 2 mb of l3. look at some tests and you will see a quicksilver can match or nearly match the newer mdd's with a good upgrade. also the ati 9800 can go in it so anyone with a 733 out there i would think twice about getting rid of it. sorry for the ramble but i have soft spot for those 733 Quicksilvers.

8. rteuscher thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it all setup yesterday with the Cinema Display. It looks great and seems to be running faster than my old 733 even though I haven't recieved my memory upgrade yet for the 12." Also the darn thing is silent compared to my 733. Only one issue. I cannot seem to get the closed lid functions to work with my bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I think it requires a usb keyboard to wake it when the lid is closed. Darn. You think they would have thought of that.

Let me know
    Ryan

Overall I am very pleased with the 12"