POWERBOOK G4, 2GB RAM, 17" FREEZING,CRASHING-PLEASE HELP, HELP,HELP,HELP

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wildhiss, Apr 2, 2005.

1. wildhiss macrumors newbie

Recently, I bought Powerbook G4, 2GB RAM 17". It started crashing freezing, the curser doesn't move or asks me to press power button to restart. It seems my RAM has gone. As I pulled out 2GB Dim and replaced by 512 MB one dim. It worked. Then I put one dim of 1GB alongwith 512 MB, it did not work. Then removed the set and replaced by the second dim of 1GB, it is working, but seems to be slower than 512MB RAM now.

If my RAM of 2GB has gone bad after one month's use, then I suspect my Powerbook also may refuse to accept the new set of 2GB RAM. Please advise me on this.

I worked hard for four years to buy this book, but not see it crashing like a toy. I was told by peoeple that Mac machines are great. My faith in Mac is shattered and would never advice anyone to buy Mac. I have sunk my money.

Please help, help, help.

I am based in India and going to use to for my audio visual programmes to educate people about snakes and snakebite. www.snakecell.org

Please write to me wildhiss@yahoo.co.in

Regards
    Capt Suresh Sharma
    www.snakecell.org

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Get a grip "Capt" :rolleyes: You've found the problem yourself, bad memory. Get it replaced, and your problems should be gone leaving you to enjoy the PowerBook you "sunk" your money in to only to have your faith "shattered" by faulty 3rd party memory :rolleyes:

3. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Use the 512MB

Just use your 512MB ram until you get the other ram replaced. I'm running mine on 512 and it runs fine. I'm running VPC (winXP) along with other programs opened. However I'm not running any audio visual programs to much. It runs fine with stock ram. No your computer will not reject it again unless it's bad memory to start with...

Hopefully your ram has a lifetime guarantee.

Nuc

4. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

yeah, as others have said, it is just bad ram. Easy and fairly cheap to replace, at least compared to a new computer, and unless the new pieces of ram are bad to start off with, they should be fine. Enjoy your computer, this is not its fault. Relax :)

5. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Relax, slugger. Macs are still great, they are just finicky about memory; recent Macs more so. Replace your memory (like other said) and you should be right as rain :)

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

what amazes me anymore is that people will look for help online rather than calling applecare when big problems like this arise. seriously. why not take advantage of the tech support you have and talk to the people who built the damn thing rather than gripe about it on a message board *sigh*