PowerBook G4 - 7200rpm Drive?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dpaanlka, Jun 26, 2006.

1. macrumors 601

dpaanlka

So I just acquired my mom's PowerBook G4 17" - it's the original 1ghz one with the 4200rpm drive. She bought a MBP as replacement which is awesome I must say (and doesn't moo).

I do some video editing in FCP, lots of Photoshop, and I play X-Plane a lot which contains 8 gigs of scenery.

What sort of gains can I expect from a 7200rpm drive replacement? Specifically, the Seagate 100gb option.

2. macrumors 68030

Well, I put a 7200 40GB in my older Ti, and it flew. I have a 4200rpm in there again now, and it feels a lot slower. So yeah, you'll notice the difference, and it will be rather substantial IMHO.

Edit: Oh, and I just used regular stuff, like Word, Safari, some light Photoshop.

3. macrumors 6502a

An upgrade from from a 4200 to 7200rpm drive is a big jump in performance - I upgraded a 1.25 15" G4 with one along with 2GB of RAM and it's great for everything (well except HD h.264 playback and encoding).

4. macrumors 68000

disconap

Meh. RAM is far more important overall. But yeah, it'll make some difference, though in my experience not THAT huge of one.

5. thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Hmm intersting. Well I already have a gig of RAM. Do you work with huge files similar to I?

6. macrumors 68000

disconap

I try to keep most huge stuff to my Sawtooth (which runs a lot smoother and has CS2 installed), but yeah, I often work with audio, video, and Illustrator/Photoshop/Quark files in the 3-5 gig range. I don't know how big that is in modern terms, but it's pretty big to me.

I settled on a 5400rpm drive for my ibook after testing out a 7200. The heat difference made using the ibook on anything other than a flat surface nearly impossible; but then, I have an ibook, so that may not be the same issue for a powerbook...

7. macrumors regular

So did you end up going for the 7200 seagate? if so how is it? Does it run hotter much hotter than before?

If anyone else has installed a 7200rpm hdd in their powerbook, how's the heat issue? I have a pb "12 1.33ghz that just died on me tonight :( so I need to get that thing replaced in the next couple of days.

8. thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

9. macrumors 68040

JFreak

Drastically reduced SEEK times plus faster throughput.