Powerbook G4 800 - DVD-Rom/CD-RW please help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Holling, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Holling macrumors newbie

Is there anyway to get the DVD-Rom to play a dvd on a PB G4 800 model A1001, the combo drive locks up anytime a DVD is entered into the slot loader, If tried about 10 different DVDs some brand new out of package. After 20 tries or so one played for 15 minutes before locking up, the others locked up at title screen. Are there any firmware upgrades or steps I can take to fix this I'm running 10.2.3 with all current updates and DVD player 3.2

thanks,

Holling:confused:

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Try using another DVD player called VLC which can be got from www.videolan.org. Make sure you get the one for Macs as it is avaliable for most platforms.

3. Holling thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I tred the VCL and it worked initially but then would crash intermittenly during playing. I think the drive issue is hardware based, I have been gettign the serious error message or dics scratched or dirty even when using brand new discs. Anyone know if there is a firmware update?

holling

4. Bear macrumors G3

It sounds like you have a faulty Combo Drive. Since the PB800 was introduced less then a year ago, it is still under warrenty. I'd suggest getting it repaired.

There is no firmware update for that drive. Discs getting scratched is a serious issue and would never be fixed by a firmware update.

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I concur. I have never had the problems you mentioned with my Ti book. I plays DVDs flawlessly. Call up Apple and get it fixed.