Powerbook G4 and DVD-RW

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by annk, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Administrator

annk

Staff Member

This is most likely a very basic thing - I´ve searched but haven´t found anything that gives me exactly the answer I´m after, so if this has already been discussed I´m sorry for bringing it up again...

I have a 1.5 GHz PB with this superdrive:

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825:

Capacity: 7.68 GB
    Manufacturer: MATSHITA
    Model: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-825
    Revision: DAM5
    Serial Number:
    Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: No

I can burn DVD-R fine. I´ve also burned onto DVD-RW fine, but when I want to burn over them, the drive won´t accept them as writable.

I´ve searched around a bit, and found conflicting info, not all of which I understand completely. I think I´ve understood that I need new firmware to do this, but that adding firmware when you don´t know what you´re doing can mess up the drive completely and void the warranty, and I´m not willing to do that.

So what´s the deal? Do I have to somehow erase the discs? Is new firmware (or a new PB) the only option to do what I want? Or can´t my drive burn over previously burned DVD-RWs no matter what?

2. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Powerbook 12 inch

I have the same question about my 12 inch powerbook with a superdrive 1.5 ghz will I be able to rewrite on dvd's if so what kind of dvd's do I need.
    This is some confusing stuff.
    Thanks in advance all of the macrumorers are always so help full.

3. macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Yes you need to erase them you can do it in toast (costs money) or disk utility (free, came with your mac).

In look in Your HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility open it up. On the left you will see all of the drives connected to your mac click on the CD (the top most CD) then click on the erase tab and click on erase.

4. thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thank you!! Macrumors forums are great. All my problems solved and questions answered within minutes... :D I´m looking forward to having enough experience to contribute eventually, not just to ask. :rolleyes:

5. macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

Yah the people on here are great thanks. :)