PowerBook G4 and FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by FF_productions, Nov 13, 2006.

1. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

I've pretty much decided to get rid of my G4 MDD PowerMac for the simple reason that my uncle has a Dual 2.3 G5, and I'm free to use it whenever I want. So I've decided to compress everything I do into a Portable.

I'm thinking a cheap 1.5 Ghz 15 inch PowerBook G4, how much speed am I sacrificing? I mean the Dual G4 wasn't a speed demon by any figment of my imagination.

I have a firewire external hard drive encase the amount of video I have to capture is just ridiculously huge.

Anybody have experience with Final Cut Studio on a PowerBook G4?

Oh, almost forgot to mention, it's only DV footage that I'd be messing around with...

2. LukeSkope macrumors newbie

Well, I bought a Ti Book G4 867 Mhz several years ago as I was getting into shooting/editing DV footage and I was able to edit a 45 minute skateboarding documentary no problem. See, at the time I didn't know about things like keyframe animations, using effects plugins, etc. Just captured the clips, sequenced them on the timeline, threw in some basic cross dissolves, a little text and vola. The rendering was pretty slow of course, but what I was doing didn't require a lot or rendering.

Now, as I have graduated from basic sequencing to doing animations (with After Effects) and adding lots of filters, text treatments and just a lot more heavy lifting, my G4 is a bitch, especially after a day of editing on this nice quad 2.5Ghz G5 at work.

What you are looking at will be just fine. All your clips will playback realtime, basic transitions and some light filters will render quickly, but if you intend to do some more advanced editing/motion graphics, render times can add up quick. Might be better to invest in a speedy desktop in that case.

Hope that helps.
    Luke

3. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Thanks for the advice, I don't need to invest in a speedy desktop. My uncle has a fully loaded Dual Core 2.3 G5, and guess who is the only one using it? Me. I haven't come across a project that really needs some processing power.

Of course, I run into those render walls, but I just deal with it. I let it render if I really need that specific effect, or I'll do something different with the video.

4. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Why don't you just get a macbook? They are cheaper than the PB and much, much faster?

5. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The MacBook's screen is pretty small for what I've seen. I knew somebody would mention it sooner or later.

6. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Okay, try #2. Why don't you buy a refurb MBP?:D

7. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

:eek: My Dual G4 wouldn't be able to cover the price, even though the prices for those MBP's are pretty good, I just don't have the money.

We'll see how much it sells for in the end and maybe I'll reconsider my options.

8. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Ah, i see. Well, the macbook screen is small but the res is pretty good. Best of luck!

9. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Thanks

I really don't need a Powerful machine, but I of course don't want it to be painfully slow as I don't live at my Uncle's Office and won't always be able to go there.

Where are all the PowerBook users? (they probably have MBP's :rolleyes: )

10. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

I shot and edited this movie (see link)... while living in an RV using a Titanium 667MGZ.. 1 GB RAM.. plugged into a ciggaret lighter... I had 2 external HDs..

It was INTENSE... I've come a log way..... : )

http://www.ourhousethemovie.com

If you are going to do a lot of editing I recommend the fastest computer (your) money can BUY.... it makes a world of difference!!!

cheers

11. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Damn, and everyone says 1.67 ghz is so slow.

Let's see if this Dual G4 sells!!

12. zimtheinvader macrumors regular

zimtheinvader

Say again why no MB????

Again, to state the obvious, why not a MB? The screen size is actually pretty comperable to that of a 15" PB since the MB has higher resolution/widescreen. Imho you *can* edit FCP on a PB (I have on my 1.33 12") but it is certainly slow. The MB has a high-res screen, *64 bit* (afaik) dual cores!!, [Both of which FCP supports!!] SATA, faster RAM, better battery, newer wifi, frontrow, more future-proof, &ct. My brother edits movies on his all the time. If you are worried about the screen, (which I would not be at all, it is comperable to the high-res 1.67 rev. G4 PB) then an external is a great addition... even an old CRT.

I appreciate your dillema, but I would not go for a G4 at this point for anything like this unless you must run a non-universal App. I myself am ditching my G4 PB 12" for a MB or MBP (bank willing) as soon as I scrape together the cash and my last few apps go universal.

Again, the MB is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than a DUAL G5 in many tests!!! (for under $1k @amazon.com) This is an AMAZING machine was made for running FCP and other Universal Apps, dooming most other G4's (and even G5's) into obsolesence except for explicitly non-universal apps.

13. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Lets see how much the Dual G4 sells for and then I'll think about a MB or something Intel.

I sure would like to go Intel to future-proof myself, because I can see my self selling this PowerBook in a month or 2 because the speed is below satisfactory. We'll see what happens later tonight!

14. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

PB G4 runs FCP just fine if you're editing SD. The best thing to do is run your applications on the internal hard drive, and use an external hard drive as scratch space. Motion is the only program that the PB really chokes on.

15. Garden Knowm macrumors 6502

my 667 was slow.. very slow.. I would often (at least 2-3 days a week) leave the computer on over night to do 12 hours of just basic effects and text rendering....

: )

I am glad those days are over...

BTW.. i made 35 TV shows and 1 feature length film on that PB.. it never broke down!!!

I sold it 2 weeks ago for $500...

love

16. FF_productions thread starter macrumors 68030

FF_productions

That is an amazing feat that you have pulled off. And you still got some money for it too!