1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

PowerBook G4...anyway to turn the fans off?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ClarkeB, Sep 30, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I'm trying to record something through the internal mic (and I'm too cheap to go out and buy a proper mic) and I was wondering if there is anyway through Terminal,or an external program, to force the fans to shut off for a certain period of time? I don't want to turn them off to find they can't turn back on and suddenly the computer is 1000º...I just want to keep them off to have a minimal amount of background noise. (And, yes, I'll be running it in a moderate climate so the computer doesn't overheat).

Thanks

2. macrumors regular

I had this problem with my old PowerBook, what I would do is turn down the AC, and put the powerbok on my shelf right on the vent and let it cool way down, then I would quickly do my recording and I got very mimimal noise....but with my MBP, there is is no way I could do that, the fans are loud all the time no matter what.

3. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

You might want to let the PB rest for a while and when its cooled down try your recordings. Also turn off anything you are not using like airport etc..

Bless

4. macrumors 68040

California

put it on top of a blue ice pack. That does work...

5. macrumors regular

Set the CPU speed to reduced, turn the brightness of the display right down.

Works for me.

6. macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The PowerBook has an internal microphone? Really? [​IMG]

7. macrumors regular

nickelbackmac

What in the...?

8. macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Powerbook 12"

The tiny dot at the top left of the keyboard.

Once you've found it, turn on speakable items and say "Tell me a joke"