Powerbook G4 CD Drive Dissection

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by anarchist, Feb 21, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Alright, I have a titanium powerbook G4 that has a bad CD drive. Apple care has expired at this point, and I seem to be pretty handy at repairing computer related components. I have removed the drive from the laptop and have removed the cover on the CD drive. I have found what I believe to be the ejection mechanism to be the problem. However, it appears that a part or two is missing. I've included pictures to avoid calling things by "that thing."

The laptop with no CD drive
    [​IMG]

The CD drive open
    [​IMG]

The disconnected part
    [​IMG]

I think that the disconnected part connects here...
    [​IMG]

...like this...
    [​IMG]

but when I try to connect the parts together, they don't stay connected for long, and when connected in that manner, the range of motion is limited. I think that there must be some kind of other part that connects these together possibly incorporating this spring, which is not connected to anything and I assume must be part of the mechanism.
    [​IMG]

Although you cannot see it in the pictures, there is a sort of track that the broken part can slide in, which gives it a full range of motion etc, but then the piece isn't long enough to reach anything else - which again leads me to believe that I'm missing some pieces

I'm very well may be screwed and should just get an external CD drive, but I don't want to do that because it's expensive and externals are BIG, and I don't wan to shell out $200 to replace this one only to have it fail again in a number of months (This laptop has disposed of 3 so far, all covered under apple care until now) If the case is that I'm screwed, just let me know. At least I know what the inside of a powerbook looks like now haha.

If there are parts that I could order (I'm doubting that) or if anyone has a dead CD drive that they'd be throwing away anyways which happens to have the parts missing here, I'll pay shipping to me and I'd appreciate it.

Pictures of how it is supposed to look would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. thread starter macrumors newbie