Powerbook G4 doesnt startup... what's up?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by trive, Oct 29, 2003.

1. trive macrumors member

Hi guys, one friend of mine has just bought a second hand powerbook.
    He's got a problem now:
    it doesn't start up. Everytime I turn it on, I see the Apple logo (the grey one) but a few seconds after the computer seems to start loading I got a kernel panic message (you know, the computer says "press the powet button for a few seconds"). I tried to boot from the jaguar cd but i got the same problem.
    I also tried safe boot but it doesn't work: it just crashes.

So I tried to install the OS from my iMac via firewire but it doesnt work!!!
    I always get the kernel panic message!!!

What's the matter with the powerbook?

I also tried to boot from other cds and to update the current system but, guess, it crashes...

THANKS FOR HELP GUYS!!

Marco-

2. trive thread starter macrumors member

I forgot:

It is a powerbook g4
    867 mhz
    133 mhz bus
    firmware updated to the latest version
    512 + 256 mb ram

I also tried to:
    - remove ram
    - reset pram and vram
    - reset pmu
    -initialize the hd and reinstall a lot of times!

The powerbook doesn't want to start up....

3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Well, if it won't boot normally, and it won't boot from any CD, then I'd suggest taking it into the shop.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Re: Powerbook G4 doesnt startup... what's up?

I am still new to Apple computers, having switched to a PowerBook this summer, but a kernel panic usually indicates a hardware failure of some kind and not a software failure. Reinstalling the operating system is probably not going to solve the problem. I would suspect a memory (RAM) problem first.

In your followup post, you mentioned that you tried "removing the RAM"; do you mean that you removed the RAM and then put the same memory back in? I would suggest actually replacing the memory with known good memory to see if that solves the problem. Unless you just happen to have some spare memory lying around, your best bet may be to take the computer in to the shop for repairs, since they will have access to the spare parts, etc. needed to properly diagnose the problem.

5. trive thread starter macrumors member

I'll try to change the ram with an other block of ram and then tell u what happened...

Thanks guys!