Powerbook G4 dying

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mrderisory, Oct 13, 2009.

1. macrumors member

Dec 19, 2004
    I have a 15" powerbook G4 PPC. That is dying on me...

First I was getting terrible response time out of my computer, loading a website with a decent amount of content on it cause beachball of doom. That wont ever load forcing me to have to force quit safari.

I only had modest ram, so I bought a 1 gig stick. This helped miniscule at best, after 3 months or so I was getting beachball again.

I replaced my hardrive recently. Since then everything has gone from bad to worse!

My screen when ever I have a lot of white on the screen. Begins flickering like a strobe light.

Second my D key wont type with out a lot of force exerted to it.

Third I get the beachball of doom, from opening a text document! Youtube videos wont play without skipping frames and of course the beachball!!.

Fourth I'm not getting software updates, I check it periodically and It says there are no software updates even though this is not true.

My Powerbook turned 6 years old last month, but honestly I was expecting a little longer life span out of my first apple product. :(

How can fix these problems!!!!!!!!!!! If they are unable to fix, hopefully this piece of $h!t will last until they update the Macbooks in which case I will buy a new one.
  2. macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2009
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2009
    I can't imagine keeping and using a computer for 6 years, especially as if it's being used as your primary computer.
  4. macrumors 68040

Aug 8, 2008
    6 years is already an above average lifespan for any laptop. How long did you expect to use if for -- 20 years?

Time for a new computer. Paying for a repair is not worth it at this point.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Feb 6, 2007
    For us MacBook Pro owners, how long should we keep it before getting another one?
  6. Guest

Aug 6, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Yes sounds like a new machine would be best for you. 6 years is good milage out of a laptop though.
  7. macrumors 65816

May 1, 2007
    Norwich, UK
    I owned my 12" PowerBook for four years before replacing, but then had a BlackBook for 10 months, a MacBook Air for 4 months, a mini for 6 months and just bought a MacBook Pro yesterday.

Since the PowerBook I was searching for a replacement 'long term' laptop, I did like the Black MacBook, but realised it was about to be replaced by the first uMB, so sold it.

I then bought a Rev. B Air, which I wanted to be my only computer, but when the hinge started going I realised I needed to keep it in warranty... I had the hinge replaced and sold it on just before the Rev. C came out.

The mini suited me for a while I was working from home, but I secretly knew I would always be relegating it to HTPC, which I have now done. I was going to buy a MacBook, but when apple released the 15" base MacBook Pro with solely integrated graphics it seemed to be perfect. I bought one yesterday, swapped out the HDD for a 7200rpm one and, I hope, this will be 'the one' for at least three years :)

(I think the wife will leave me if it isn't...)