Powerbook G4 Ethernet Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iLukeisamazing, Jun 15, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Hey guys. At my home I have a wireless connection and so I never attach through my ethernet cable.

Well, I am at my fiancees home and she does not have wireless yet. I attempted to connect my PB through her ethernet and it would not work for me.

Is this a common problem. I have everything set on automatic so I don't know why it wouldn't work?

2. macrumors member

it entirely depends on the type of internet connection that you are using. A cable connection should set itself automaticly, if your using a DSL connection, you may need to enter in the PPPoE settings.

One think i would suggest trying is open up Network Utility (Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities) and under the Info tab what does it say for Link Status for Network Interface (en0).

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Still nothing, even though it says it's active.

What else do we got?

4. macrumors regular

MagicUK

What model is the DSL router/modem?

5. macrumors 6502a

Ethernet

If its a router - is it handing out IP's via DHCP? In which case, you'd wanna make sure your ethernet connection is expecting an IP through the DHCP server.

F

6. macrumors regular

Schroedinger

Did you turn Airport off in the airport menu on the right side of the menu bar? I have an emac that is plugged into ethernet all the time, normally uses airport (it's complicated) and will use ethernet if I go to the menu item and pick "turn airport off."

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

I still have yet to find a solution. Is there a way to reset the ethernet settings or what?

8. macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

Are you going into a router or into a cable modem? If the latter, then you'll have to power-cycle the cable modem each time you switch machines on it. That means unplug the modem, leave it unplugged for a minute, and then plug it back in.

The reason for this is that a cable modem will only assign an IP address to one device at a time, based on its MAC address. So to use another machine, you do a power cycle on the modem and then it will make a "handshake" with the new machine.

Oh, and some modems have battery backups in them, which will prevent the settings from being reset by a power cycle. In this case, simply remove the batter too when you do your power cycle.