Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
I'm not having a good month... first my system kept crashing with things, so I upgraded the memory from 512mb to 1gb, I had a load of software problems too, but now, my screen keeps messing up. I'm not sure how to explain it but Ive returned to my computer a few times now to find the screen looking like tartan (all pixelated, colours all over the joint, lines all over the screen and I cant make any of the things on my desktop/dock but I can still activate things on my dock and I can still do things on the desktop, but even though I can "just" make out what i'm doing with the mouse, I cant actually see anything with any clarity at all...)

I have an additional screen attached to my powerbook and that also messes up along with the powerbook screen.

Anything I can do to sort this out?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It sounds like there might be a hardware problem with your video card. If you have any system mods, disable them and see if the problem still occurs. Specifically I'm thinking about if you have the aticelerator control panel installed.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
This definitely sounds like a hardware problem, especially since you can't even make an external display to work. This rules out a problem with the internet display, unless its pure coincidence. If its still under warranty, I would just take it to Apple. Like the previous poster said, the graphics chip has probably gone bad, and/or something else on the logicboard (motherboard).

ruzzian

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2005
Southsea, UK
motulist said:
It sounds like there might be a hardware problem with your video card. If you have any system mods, disable them and see if the problem still occurs. Specifically I'm thinking about if you have the aticelerator control panel installed.

I dont think I have any mods installed, mainly cos I dont really understand it all completely. My mac knowledge is still not as good as I want it to be so I need a little bit of help on this front. I think it is under warrenty still so I will probably take it to Apple just in case it is a problem with the hardware. On the plus it hasnt happened since I posted earlier. I changed my screensaver settings so they dont come on before the screen goes to sleep. That seems to have stopped it. The same thing used to happen with the powerbook screen ages ago when I used to play Medal Of Honor online and I would double the screen up so it was on both powerbook screen and additional. However only the powerbook screen would go all 'tartanised' when I was playing and the additional screen was fine.
:confused:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Does it look anything like this picture? you get the visual disturbance all over the screen and completely random?

If so... I've had the same problem, it's your logic board mate, it needs replacing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.