PowerBook G4 has WHINE!!!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MIDI_EVIL, Jun 28, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

It's true, my PowerBook G4 has a whine, it only occurs when i 'Get Info' on a 979 MB quicktime on my desktop, and goes away when i scrub the preview timeline.

Perhaps the whine has been there all along, throughout various incarnations of Apple Notebooks, and we were being too sensitive with these new MacBook/MacBook Pros.

Whine aside, i adore my PowerBook and it still never fails to amaze me nearly 18 months after getting it.

Any other PPC notebooks with the whine?

I checked up and couldn't find this mentioned on the first search page.

Rich.

2. macrumors 604

kretzy

I've never experienced anything like this with my PB. Are you sure it wasn't just the harddrive whirring or something?

3. macrumors newbie

On my PB 1.25 I get a whine whenever I copy over ethernet and if I put the processor performance to the highest. It used to whine when previewing movies as well, but that disapperared with a 10.3 update I think...

I have a MBP 2.0 as well, and the whine is pretty similar, although more high pitched on the PB.

4. macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You know, my powerbook has had the whine™ before. It drove me crazy, but it only happened for about a day or two, its disappeared ever since :confused:

Though, I almost always run my powerbook on reduced due to heat on my lap.

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Positive it's not the HD, my girlfriend has a MacBook with the whine, and this is the same sound.

It happens only when i 'Get Info' the quicktime, and it stops when i scrub the preview timeline.

I have noticed, when i 'Get Info' two quicktimes simultaneously, there is a higher pitched whine, the occurs in a single bleep, then the whine proceeds.

I'm not at all bothered by it, my PowerBook functions flawlessly.

It's a good lesson to be learned, maybe all Apple Notebooks whine now and again, computers make noises!

Rich.