PowerBook G4: HELP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adn rcd dly, Apr 6, 2005.

1. adn rcd dly macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

Hey Kids...

My brother and I do small films for fun and are going into event videography together. I used to be a wedding videographer in Lehi, Utah and that is where I did all of my editing (Dual 2 ghz G5 120 GB HD and 1 GB RAM). I now need something in my smaller town where I moved. I was thinking a 15" PB with a SuperDrive and 1 GB RAM and 100 GB HD. My question is, should I wait until Tiger is standard OS? And do you think it would muster the task (FCP 4.5)? (I plan on getting it through a loan as well, so it wouldn't be for awhile that I got one anyways. Thanks

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Wait for tiger, that really shouldn't be too much longer. The PB should be enough power to do what you want to do.

3. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

OSX.3 runs FCP HD just fine for me. I'm sure that Tiger can only do it faster. Since you do have to wait i'd say hold out as long as you can... but be sure that you boost the ram. Its hard to use FCP and all of its features with 512mb (what i used to have) and it has gotten better with 768.

the 15" will be nice... but if you're going to blow the top off (and write it off as a tax deduction) get the 17...

4. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

little addition

also (thanks for responding so quickly...I love mac users),
    do you think it is a good idea to go straight through apple with a loan from them? I am only 19 and have no credit (not bad, just none). YOur thoughts?

5. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

think about a credit card. Students can usually get them with like 13% interest rates or something. It would probably be easy to get on from like a credit union or through your local bank. The only problem there is that you usually only get a $1100 limit or so. So i'd do like 1000 on a credit card and finance the rest through apple loan if i were doing it. Just be sure that you can get a 6-12 months no interest credit card so you can pay off the Apple loan then start workin on the credit card.

6. Andrewk242 macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that Apple allows only one payment method. So even if you have cash to put down, you'll still have to put it all on plastic.

7. adn rcd dly thread starter macrumors 6502

adn rcd dly

little update

so..my brothers fiance is going to buy the computer for me on her card, and then I will buy it through her.

as i was looking at the apple store, i was doing some dabbling.

which is the better deal (forgive my foolishness, i just want to get the best for my money):?

i can get a: 17">1 gb ram>80 gb hd --- $2.444.00
    b: 17">1 gb ram>100 gb hd --- $2,534.00
    c: 15">1 gb ram>100 gb hd --- $2,414.00

which would be the best for my (her) money?