PowerBook G4 Minecraft?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Des Zac, Dec 1, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can a last gen PowerBook G4 run Minecraft on its lowest settings? If so what is the least amount of RAM I could use?

Thanks,

-Zach

2. macrumors member

aednichols

Minecraft is quite a resource hog, and even my G5 (see sig) can't manage more than 5-10 FPS on the lowest settings. Your primary constraints would be CPU and GPU, not RAM.

3. macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I don't play Minecraft, but I tried it on my eMac as it's a good way to try out the bhp in a machine. I have 1ghz, 1gb RAM and the Radeon 7500 with 32mb VRAM and it is unplayable. 3 or 4 fps tops with it. But then again, the last gen PowerBooks have either 64mb or 128mb VRAM & 2gb RAM & 1.5/67ghz so it'll do better than my eMac but I'll be extremely suprised if it is playable. Keep me posted though! I haven't tried it on my PowerBook G4 Titanium because it has the same card as my eMac does so it would perform similarly...

4. macrumors regular

My G5 had slightly better luck - 15~20 FPS, usually. (When I play it, I usually do so on my Windows tower - no performance issues there.)

Perhaps trying the Optifine mod would make things a bit more playable... I haven't tested it, though, and can't quite get to the G5 at the moment. (I'm not even sure if the mod's been updated for 1.0.0...)

5. LOLZpersonok, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I managed to get it running on my PowerMac G4 MDD. It's nothing special by today's standards, and with the way Minecraft is, performance is substandard.

This PowerMac G4 has:
    2GB of RAM
    Dual 1.25GHz PowerPC G4
    ATI Graphics with 64MB of Video Memory

So it's not the fastest thing ever when playing Minecraft. I usually get 7-12 FPS on low settings. Not that impressive.

However for me, on a similarily spec'ed Windows Machine I usually get around 15-20 FPS on low settings.

6. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Dead thread!

It runs on mine with 20 - 30 fps. I don't pay, but my son does.
    DP 2.0ghz G5
    4Ggb RAM
    Radeon 9600XT 128mb (I think)

7. macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

The advice Bloodstar gave, about installing Optifine, seems to be pretty awesome. I saw Goftrey testing it out on YouTube ("PowerPC Hub"), I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned it since he wrote in this thread and all. :) Here is a link to testing and gameplay:
    Minecraft on a PowerPC Mac | YouTube

Since this is the PPC-forum I'll provide a downloadable non-flash version (MP4, 26 MB, 480x360, H.264/AAC) of the clip as well:
    Minecraft on a PowerPC Mac | ZippyShare

8. macrumors 6502a

hackerwayne

I get about 10fps on my PowerBook G4 2004 graphics is Radeon 9600 64MB. RAM is 1.5GB. Even an Intel Atom runs better then it lol

9. macrumors member

I have the last one, with the higher resolution screen. Minecraft is completely unplayable normally even at the lowest setting, but I found out that its only the world generation that makes it lag. I play skyblock survival with literally zero lag on my powerbook.