powerbook G4 mod. . . "oh yeah"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by wPod, Nov 9, 2004.

1. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    check it out. i finally got around to my dream, more than a year after i got my PB!!!!! (look at the picture) its simple but it ads that nice personal touch to my PB.

you can check it out on my website http://www.leaveapenny.net/pbmod.html as well as other mods i have done (such as my old iBook before i gave it to my little bro)

i think this should be a BTO option. different for everyones personal taste!

Attached Files:

2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    it looks good. Very understated.

You're braver than me, I'd have to have my Powerbook prized from my cold, dead hands before it's opened up for such a trivial thing!
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Nice, though I still like the one where the guy did the rainbow Apple, more old school. Once my Apple Care runs out on my PowerBook, I'm probably going to wind up modding it and such too!
  4. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    Get your PB painted black and you've got your very own U2 Powerbook! :p
  5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada

Too true. Couldn't agree more.
  6. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    I am sure the apple workshop will fix mine for free :) since i work with them so much.

Where can i find site so that i can mod my 17" PB? i will post some pics of it when i am done :D
  7. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    im guessing the 17" works the same.

is where i got the 'how to' on taking mine apart. i just searched google for powerbook mod and somehow ran into that site.

does anyone else have any good mods?
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Slightly off topic, but I really like the *Ibook* mod you also had on your website, with the veins of red in the black. Very nice. :)
  9. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    very nifty. good job. :cool:

i think the next level would be to layer colors so it will look like the old school rainbow apple. :eek: (oh, done already on the link on your site... very cool.) (by the way, the other dude isn't very smart taking apart his PB while it's plugged in/powered up. i know he wanted to see the backlight, but not a good idea...)
  10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    where do you get that "gel" thingy? changing the ibook's Apple color would be easier right? just need torques and change it... or am i mistaken?
  11. wPod thread starter macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    i searched for light gels online. you can get big packs (of like 12x12 was the smallest i could find) for about $20. i then found through a camera web site adorama.com and found this

i tried my local camera shop but the only thing they had was 12x12 packs. ideally if you knew anyone that did tech work at a theater or photography or wherever else someone might used colored lights they could get a small piece of a light gel for you for free :-/

if you go to my website you can see that i also painted the complete inside fo an iBook (old G3 where that had a clear case with white paint, new ones are solid white plastic). First you use the proper size allen or hex wrench to remove the screws(metric sized either 1.5 or 2 i forget for the iBook). Next you have to take the cover off. this part is hard. you have to use something plastic to practically pry it off (like a credit card. i used an old spent gift card). the cover on the PB came off much easier actually.

this is very true!!! i powered off, unplugged AND removed the battery before i started prying anything apart. i dont think there is too much in the screen that could get damaged if turned on (aside from sticking a screwdriver or something through the screen) but its always better to be safe from static shock or something.
  12. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
    wow thats awesome.. you know you could do that for people as a business... it'd be sweet
  13. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

Jun 21, 2004
    ct, us