Powerbook G4 Noise

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Vixus, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Vixus macrumors newbie

Hi, it's only been 2 weeks that I've gotten my new 1.5GHz Powerbook G4. Up to now everything seems good, except for that one stuck pixel on my screen!!! ARGHHH. Anyhow... my real problem comes in with the strange high pitch noise my powerbook makes. Sometimes, for no reason, tere would be a strange noise coming from the center of the keyboard. I'm guessing it's the HD, but it really sounds different then when it's trying to access information. This is really annoying as I often work at night and the sound can be quite disconcentrating. Is this normal? Should I call Apple and try to get a replacement? And why is the noise so damn loud! I noticed that I can always recreate the noise by clicking on a quicktime movie.

Vixus

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Is it a whirring noise? If so, don't worry about it ... I have a 15" 1.5 GHz Powerbook as well, and this is normal. This is just the computer at work. I notice it when I start to play DVDs, but it doesn't come up too often.

Sorry to hear about your stuck pixel. :( Some people might recommend (and some people might not recommend) to rub it VERY GENTLY with something mildly firm. I've personally never had a stuck / dead pixel, so I can't comment on whether that works ... some people on Macrumors have said it worked for them, though, while others oppose the idea altogether.

3. Vixus thread starter macrumors newbie

The noise I'm hearing isn't just a whirring noise. It's a really high pitch scream that goes whenever the HD is not at work.

4. dotnina macrumors 6502a