PowerBook G4 Now? New media student

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by meanpeoplesuck, Aug 28, 2006.

  1. meanpeoplesuck macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #1
    Sorry for making another "what should I buy" thread. I wondered if I should post for help, but after searching I couldn't find an answer.

    I'm starting a 1 year media course in a college of further education soon, which covers things like video editing, graphic design and print journalism. After this 1 year, if I enjoy it, I could go on to a degree course, but none of this is garaunteed.

    Taking this into account, what would you think of buying maybe a PowerBook G4 (or an iBook?) now to get me through the next year or 2, and then assessing my situation as to exactly what computer I would need for the following few years of a degree. It may turn out I end up in journalism and don't need a powerful laptop, so I'm wary of buying something too poweful right now, lest it go to waste...

    I'm a beginner and this course is catered to beginners just leaving secondary school (high school?), so I imagine a large enough portion of the year will be learning how to use all this different software and then putting it into practice. I don't need the power associated with being a "pro" working with HD video just yet then.

    I suppose I was hoping to get something for around 700 euro used, baring in mind that the Irish Apple Refurb store never has anything in it.

    Thoughts, Opinions?
     
  2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

    MIDI_EVIL

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    To be honest, i think you will get away with a PowerBook.

    I just graduated from a Video course, and i used my PowerBook for the last 18 months. It was ample!

    If you look hard enough, i'm sure you will find a great price as the G4 chip is outdated now and people want Intel. Then again, be careful not go spend too much as MacBooks are very nicely priced.

    It all depends on software, you can run Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Microsoft Office very well on a PowerBook G4. Go for the 1.67 Ghz, or the last revision with Hi-Resolution screen.

    Good luck, if you need anymore advice, please come back!

    Rich.
     
  3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

    mjstew33

    Joined:
    May 29, 2005
    Location:
    Illinois
    #3
    Look for a PowerBook G4 1.67 with a High Res screen for cheap, real cheap - like 1K hopefully.

    If it touches the MacBook's price, just get the MacBook.
     
  4. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

    MIDI_EVIL

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Isn't that what I....

    Nevermind.

    Rich.
     
  5. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #5
    ### lol! As to this post...700euro = $850US. I would be VERY surprised if you found a 1.67 G4 for that little...but good luck! By next year when I upgrade, maybe my 17" 1.67 G4 will be a nice paper weight....
     
  6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

    nbs2

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2004
    Location:
    A geographical oddity
    #6
    There is something disturbingly rational about that statement, I can't put my finger on it...;)

    I think you will be totally fine with a G4. I have a 1.25 (I bought it 11 days before the bump...), and I don't find video editing too bad. However, I would suggest that whatever extra you have after you buy the machine you invest in RAM. I do find that there is a tendency to get really sluggish if I have more than a couple of the more intense applications running - bad enough that I've been hinting to my wife that I want RAM for my birthday (how lame is that?)....
     
  7. Carl Spackler macrumors 6502

    Carl Spackler

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2005
    Location:
    Outer Space
    #7
    I say go for a refurb Macbook. They aren't that far from your ideal price. From what I've seen, they're priced comparably to the newer G4 Powerbooks on eBay, though if you want a titanium Powerbook, they are going for next to nothing. Plus, with an Intel based Mac, if you need to reasses your needs in a few years, the Macbook will hold its value better than any G4 Powerbook and I bet you make back that extra few hunderd the refurb Macbook costs over a G4 Powerbook.
     
  8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

    MIDI_EVIL

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Refurb is definately an option you should consider!

    Look at this for example.



    Rich.
     
  9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sod off
    #9
    I bought a 15" 1.33GHz Radeon 9700 PowerBook G4 in May.

    I just needed a laptop to use for the Master's program I just started, and I'd like to get a MacBook Pro in a year or two.

    I bought the machine used from a very good local reseller. I traded in a dead 12" 1GHz PowerBook which dropped the price from $1100 to $900. They also replaced the screen for free (it had the white spots problem commen with these 15" PowerBooks).

    I'm happy with it, although I would have preferred to get a MacBook due to the more powerfull CPU and dual-boot capability. My reasons for going with the PowerBook over the MacBook were

    1. I needed the machine in May, MacBooks were not available yet, and I didn't want to go without for 2+ months.

    2. The MacBook has integrated graphics with shared memory, which I choose to avoid (this is a hotly debated topic, so I won't go into it further).

    Hope my story helps your decision, I think you'll probably do just fine with a PowerBook G4 for a couple years, since universal binaries will be coming out for several years yet anyway.
     
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #10
    Our UK friends really do get hammered on these prices.

    The best machine overall for the money right now is the MacBook 2.0 GHz Core Duo refurb for $1099.00 US

    You might be able to get by with a 12" iBook 1.33 GHz refurb prices at $799.00US, but honestly it's not the right machine for video.

    The only other option would be to see if you might be able to get a break
    buying through your school's purchasing department.

    You still need to allow for enough RAM, no matter which machine you buy.
     
  11. meanpeoplesuck thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #11
    Thanks for the replies so far!

    PB G4 1.67 - That's a bit out of my budget, if I was to decide on one of those I'd just get the MacBook instead cause they seem to work out at a similar price.

    How would lower GHz PB's be? 1.33 and 1.25 ones? Maybe I should hold off and try and get by without a laptop untill I can afford a MacBook.

    I'd like to go the Refurb route, but the Irish store is always dead

    http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObj...j8Xoz2IdYS362x9rvUyS/1.0.0.19.1.0.8.7.1.0.1.1
     
  12. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

    MIDI_EVIL

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #12
    Go that route if you can wait a little longer.

    Rich.
     
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #13
    You'll be better off doing money making chores for a few weeks or months then buying something you really want.

    All the other options you've mentioned still don't get you the performance of a MacBook, so save for a MacBook and maybe by the time you're ready, they'll see a nice bump or drop in price too.

    I still think you should check with your instructor.

    You need to know how much computer you'll need and how much the software required will run too and figure in no less than 1 GB additional RAM for anything you buy.

    After all you need a working system ready to roll.
     

Share This Page