Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliotay

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2001
So just a few seconds ago I was trying to install some new software on my Powerbook G4 800 mhz. I put in the cd and the optical drive starts making noises like it's trying to recognize the cd. But it never does. The thing never mounts and pushing eject won't eject it. I have to restart to get the cd out. I've tried it with several different cd's and it's the same result. I was just watching dvds on it last week. What happened?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Re: Powerbook G4 Optical Drive Stuck?!

Originally posted by elliotay
So just a few seconds ago I was trying to install some new software on my Powerbook G4 800 mhz. I put in the cd and the optical drive starts making noises like it's trying to recognize the cd. But it never does. The thing never mounts and pushing eject won't eject it. I have to restart to get the cd out. I've tried it with several different cd's and it's the same result. I was just watching dvds on it last week. What happened?

I had this happen on my Rev A and my SuperDrive on my latest PowerBook G4 get yourself a very good (expensive) DVD cleaner disc, and give that a whirl... probably won't fix it, but it's worth a try...

Failing that, send it to Apple, as they replaced mine in the end.

Good luck...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
repair your permissions just to make sure although it may no help, then i would zap your pram. also, can you boot of a cd. if you can boot off of a cd then you know your drive isnt bad.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.