Powerbook G4 Overclocking... currently at 1.58ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by greenlightracer, Jun 8, 2007.

1. macrumors member

Jun 8, 2007
    Hey, new to these forums but I am not a nooB. Before I start, I'd like to mention I'm CET certified and I worked as an apple tech in high school. (Just saying to avoid the flames)

Here is the deal. I bought my 1.5 Ghz 15" Powerbook used last august. It's a a1095 model (bluetooth 1.1), and upon buying it I immediately upgraded the hard drive (to a 5400rpm 100gb toshiba with 16mb of cache), the ram (I bought one 512 module) and bought 10.4 and installed it on the new hard drive. Sometime after, I noticed "About this Mac" and Apple system profiler both reported my machine as 1.58 ghz. I tried to research why this would be but I have found no answers. Now its time to upgrade the computer again, I would like to research this as much as possible.

I found one other thread about this on another web site, but it came up dead. I'm including the screen shots for proof. The only other speed enhancement I have made has been overclocking the Mobility Radeon 9700 by 40%. I'm including the screen shot of that as well.

By my calculations, I would have to be running at a bus multipler of 9.5. If this is normal, please let me know. I would have guessed most "normal" 1.5 ghz G4's would be running 9x (167 x 9 - 1506 ish)

Lastly, I'm completely disassembling the computer soon to replace case parts so if there is any interest I can take pics of the motherboard (if it would help to solve the mystery). Oh, and since sept 2006, with the 40% gpu overclock as well, the machine operates rock solidly. Here's the eye candy:

2. Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 5, 2006
    You might want to get rid of the serial number : )
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2007
    Why would I need to get rid of the serial number? That was the information I found before... but it really doesnt say much.

I dug up some old xBench scores I was running at the time:

Kinda makes it more puzzling though since this shows it happened after I upgraded everything. Maybe it was after I overclocked the GPU..
  5. macrumors 65816

Apr 17, 2007
    off topic, and a completely n00b question, but what harm can come of showing the serial number? is it prohibited by apple or something?

Edit: lol greenlightracer beat me to it.
  6. macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    People can probably use your serial number to answer questions to potential buyers on eBay.

That is the only reason I can think of.
  7. macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2006
    It's also used for warranty purposes by Apple. When my friend's PB battery died prematurely he called them up and got a new one over the phone. The only thing they asked was the serial number. This was some years ago.
  8. macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2007
    San Francisco
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2007
    well im going to say most definitely no it won't work lol. bbut who knows... I'm still not sure how exactly I did it:(