Powerbook G4 Prices -- What's good?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by EHUnlucky7x9@ao, Feb 10, 2006.

1. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is a good price for a Powerbook G4? If anyone could fill this out for me, it'd be a big help since I am planning to buy a newer 15-inch Powerbook.

Average cost for 15" PBG4:

500Mhz -
    Specs to expect -

550Mhz -
    Specs:

667Mhz -
    Specs:

800Mhz -
    Specs:

867 Mhz -
    Specs:

1 Ghz -
    Specs:

1.33 Ghz -
    Specs:

1.5 Ghz -
    Specs:

1.67 Ghz -
    Specs:

I've gone to Everymac.com to check the value but I've seen people selling Powerbooks either for high of a price and sometimes lower than what everymac.com says. If anyone has any information, I'd appreciate it because once I know what to expect, then I won't overspend...and don't hestitate to let me know ifyou have one too because that would be helpful. Thank you!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Go to eBay, look up each model, and see what they seem to be selling for. Any quickly acquired price anyone here could come up with would be less accurate.

3. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

You think so? I've seen some people sell their 667 PBG4's here for $400 and under, but on ebay they go for like $700. Here, ppl sell their PB 867 for 600-750. THat's why i'm wondering what's the best prices because the ones on Ebay seem to be more expensive than in this forum.

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You're right, they sometimes are less expensive on this forum, but there is no price guide for people to sell here, and it's much more likely you'll find a computer that fits what you are looking for on eBay rather than here... Unless the only thing you're looking for is a specific price, but I assume that's not the case since your little chart there ranges from 500mhz to 1.67ghz

5. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Your right, my chart is kinda of misleading. Well... I own the original PBG4 and it suits my everyday needs like main, websurfing, iChat... i'm just looking ot get something a bit faster b/c iWork 06 doesn't even have support on this machine since iWork 06 needs at least 500mhz g4...where mine is 400mhz. I'm looking to see if its possible for me to get a 1ghz one for <$900. There have been some people selling the Alu PBG4's for 1K so just looking to see what I can get.

I've gone thru checking ebay this morning and if i buy a used PB for 1500... for a 1ghz model... i might as well get the Macbook Pro. But i don't want to get that yet until its been revised. Yanno what i mean?

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I've seen 1.5ghz 15'' PowerBooks on eBay for as little as $1400, that have pretty much all the same features as the MacBook Pro except the higher res display. The newer models seem to be a better value than the 1ghz ones, but obviously they'll be a bit more expensive.$1200-$1400 seems to be the sweet spot for AluBooks.

You can find cheap TiBooks, but I personally think the AluBooks are a whole lot nicer.

7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Eidorian...good lookin out. That page was sweet.

Chas, your right. I guess since I'm going to get a Macbook Pro down the road and I'm only needing a laptop for word processing on the road, i might as well stick to the Tibooks. Is the video card replaceable on the 667-1ghz Tibooks? I've noticed they have a separate cover on the bottom of the cases than the original PBG4's.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's more than likely for the second RAM slot rather. Yeah, I love LowEndMac. It's also a nice massive store of links to upgrade reviews and xlr8yourmac. I don't remember how I found it. :rolleyes:

9. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

What I hate about used powerbook prices is that they're so inflated. A 1ghz TiBook isn't as great as a 1.67ghz AlBook, but not as much money seperates them as you think. You'd either have to go really old TiBook like me or yourself, or go almost new, otherwise the gray area in between lays relatively close in price to a much better model.

Also, you have to differentiate between 667 TiBooks. One is VGA and has the crappier resolution, different logic board, and no DVI output. The DVI has the more recent 1280x854 resolution, faster memory (I think) and is better overall. I tried looking for one while I was on a hunt for a TiBook, but found none within my range. They seem to go for $575 at the low end, and up to $800 on the high end...but at that same price of $800, I'm sure you could find an 867 TiBook or something on the forums or on eBay too. It's very screwed up. And it's about to get even more screwed up with the intro of the Macbook pro's.

10. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

LoL, well said... hahah... that's why I'm thinking if it will be possible for me to get an 867 Tibook instead of the 667... i just want a better video chip... i mean the 8mb on my Tibook is fine...but it'd be nice to be graphically up there yanno?... I don't mind spending 800.... but i just hope I can spend that much on a PB that's the highest speed and extra for that price.

11. sel1965 macrumors member

I would sell a pb 15in 80gig hard dr 1.5 combo drive for 1200.00! It's 5 months old so there is still warranty left. It's also in new condition.

12. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, hopefully someone can point me to a direction where someone is selling their 15" PB. :-D I appreciate it guys!

13. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

I would wait for an Apple price drop, which based on the Imacs should be coming within a few weeks.

14. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, price drop or not, it doesn't matter. I am willing to spend.

15. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

16. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

Ive been tempted by that one but Ill have to wait and see how the intel ibooks are speced first.

17. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

I'm abkle to buy a new 15" PB for $1499, so I'm definitely getting it. $1400 if I want the older Revision. I think those are good prices.

18. Dr. J macrumors member

I picked up the latest model 15" PB off of ebay for 1500 shipped. The computer has 2 gb and apple care. It was a christmas gift, for someone that had to have a MBP. I would look at ebay every day, and find something like this with a buy it now pricw that is cheap. The bidding on this same computer is going from 1700 to 2000 on there right now. I priced the same computer out on the Apple store, and it came out 2640.53 with the education discount. Even if they drop the price, I doubt I could have purchased it cheaper. Look around and save yourself some money.

19. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

That's a heck of a deal! Good job for that one. If I only had the cash to buy someday soon. My TiBook won't last forever.

20. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey...if your tibook isn't goin to last u forever, let me know the specs...and i can take it off ur hands now. Why wait? lol

21. ChrisBoven macrumors member

I got a 15in Powerbook aluminum 1ghz 256ram (since upgraded to 768) 60gb hdd combo airport applecare till aug 2007 for $750 off ebay 2 weeks ago. I took it in for a creaky hinge when i got it, and apple replaced the entire casing and the display. It now looks like a brand new computer. Unfortuantly i had to give it back to apple to get me a new display cuz the one they gave me had a small pit in it (should be coming back for a second time mon or tues). Regardless it was a ridiculous deal.

22. EHUnlucky7x9@ao thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah... that's a great deal.. do u still want the laptop? Want to sell to me?

23. ChrisBoven macrumors member

haha ehhh, i think im gonna keep it, i got it to replace my 1 year old 14" ibook g4 1.33. Actually i originally bought the newest pb1.67 (with the upgraded vram and 100gb hdd), but took it back cuz of the horizontal line thing, and ended up getting a full refund. Which worked out well cuz i wanted a mbp. However i ended up just buying an older pb off ebay to hold me over till rev b or c of the macbooks. And Let me tell you for being twice the age of my ibook, and .33 less mhz, it seems MUCH faster. Also the difference in screen quality is sickening (I can't imagine what the macbook pros look like). I love it ..... just wish it had the ambient keyboard:rolleyes: