Powerbook G4 Problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikol, Jul 23, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2007
    I have a Powerbook G4 12" that i bought in the fall of 2004 (not even three years yet). The other day i was using it, and got up to go from my office to my couch. On the way there, it shut off. no matter how many times i hit the power button, it would not turn on. i pulled the battery, let it sit, put it back in... and nothing. then when i plugged it into its power adapter, smoke started pouring out of it. now, this thing has some scratches on it as my wife and i use it for college so it gets taken to school and back almost every day.when i opened it up, i found there was a screw that had come loose inside of it, and fried out the DC board. is this something apple will fix? i am a little upset and angry because it was their poor workmanship (not putting locktite on this screw) that caused it to come loose and fry the board... what should i do? if they wont do anything, how much do you think this would be to fix? or is it really even worth it? maybe its time for a new macbook...if i could just get a little cash for the G4.... grrr... please let me know what you all think... thanks!
  2. macrumors member

Jun 5, 2007
    Well it sounds like he lived a long full life and its time to let go and let him sleep. If you do have the 3 year applecare try to use it but I really wouldnt tell them about the whole I opened it up and found loose screws business. Just say it started smoking and then it was dead, play real dumb you might get a new mb out of it. Have a little girl come in with you and cry that she lost her digipet or something and really really get the act together and you may just score a 2.2 mbp (it is a powerbook, the PRO line).
  3. macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2007
    New York City

Definitely don't tell them you opened it up. Do just like he said... play dumb. And most importantly... Be tough. Don't let up. Speak to a manager. be loud enough for other customers to hear your problem. But at the same time be polite.

My PB magically turned into a MBP. :)