Powerbook G4 + projector

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by iEric, Jan 16, 2004.

1. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    Has anyone used any Powerbook G4 running 10.3.2 with a projector...
    Prior to installing 10.3.2, I had 10.2.8 and the projector worked perfectly..Now when I try and use it, it doesn't work. And I've tried every resolution..and still doens't work...
  2. advocate macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Sorry to make an uninstructive post, but it does work fine for me. I just plug in the DVI-VGA adapter and plug that into the data projector's input.
  3. Grimace macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2003
    with Hamburglar.
    go into System preferences: Displays: "Detect Displays"

that should do it. If the projector has an S-Video input - try that.
  4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    would you consider using a projector as a type of "second" monitor? i will be purchasing a new pb15 soon and im wondering if they project at a high enough resolution to be feasible as a second monitor...
  5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Yes, you need to inform the PB that the projector is there, detect displays does that.

S-video works OK, but is in black and white sometimes, something to do with differing pin allocations in the plug I think.

The resolution depends wholly on the projector, we get 800x600 off the £2k Sonys we use at the Uni, it's OK for a powerpoint or 2, but gets crowded with ProTools or FCP running.

More expensive projectors get better resolutions.
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003

heh you can buy very high resolution projectors if you spend the money. i wouldn't spend the money on a project to use as a second monitor unless you do everyday presentation or teaching. movie watching is a tough call... but just to have it as a second monitor the cost of would be a lot. those projector bulbs get expensive.