Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
So, you think it's legit? He said he's switching Paypal accounts and he cannot accept paypal at the time. He's trying to convince me to send $ via Western Union.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
It's got to be a scam. Anyone selling one of these knows that they can get much more easily (if they are legit or not).

What's your reason for thinking it's a scam. Just the whole "too good to be true" vibe?

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
My step dad almost got scammed on a too good to be true powerbook deal, he got lucky and misspelled the country to wire the money to so it didn't go through the bank.

Don't buy if for ANY REASON it looks suspicious.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
vlade, there are some suspicions that I have. It's categorized under Men's Clothing. There's no pictures on the listing, but the seller emailed them to me> I asked if it was stolen. He told me he got it as part of a "deal." He wants money to be wired via Western Union and can't currently take paypal payments even though paypal is listed as one of his options. He sent me a big "I give you my word email." I'm not buying it.

How did your pops know it was a scame if he didn't wire the money? Did he contact other buyers who got scammed?

This must be a scam.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Very odd. I don't want to say 100% scam, but it's odd that he would offer to sell other PowerBooks for $1290.

His feedback is almost all as a buyer, but it's not like he bought a bunch of 99 cent items in 2 weeks to jack up his rating.

Will he give you his phone number? Not that you'll know for sure, but you can tell a lot more about a person by his voice than an email.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I asked him if he would accept local pickup, here was his response-

First I want to tell you that my units are brand new, unopened box
all accessories included and also an international warranty.
The invoice will come at the same time with the package.
My buy it now price is the best you could get: 1290usd/unit, including the
shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package
will be delivered from Europe.
We have also a %10 discount if you'll buy it from us in less than 24
hours from now on.
As delivery service we use UPS2days air service (with insurance and
15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have
a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we
use as a payment method Western Union money transfer.
So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure
that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
Waiting your quick answer right now,

This really seems fishy to me. It's not a normal EBay seller. You could get the notebook, but if so I'm guessing they're stolen.

Another thing that I've read is that EBay accounts can get "hijacked", for stuff like this (for example, notice that he can't answer emails sent to his EBay registered address.)

If you're considering this deal, then you must be short of cash. If you're short of cash, you probably can't afford to lose this much money. I would buy an iBook instead for the same price.

I give it a 50/50 shot. If you did this it would be a total gamble.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Well, I have about a $2000 max budget.....but I'm trying to keep cost low to aid in purchasing other items for my small home recording studio I'm building. Very small, and I need a laptop to do web/internet work, so that's why I'm looking at the powerbook.

As far as the hijacking thing is concerned, my thoughts exactly. Althouh I myself don't check my ebay email too much, It's definitely shady especially considering all of the other factors.

I'm going to pass and email the person who buys to see if he got scammed. I'll try to remember to come back here and post what I find out if the person emails me back.

So, can anyone recommend the best way to get a good deal on a Powerbook G4? Or, is it better to just suck it up and buy new?

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Try the Apple store... Special Deals

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ GigE/ 15-inch TFT/ Aluminum - Apple Certified

• Save 16% off the original price

Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,699.00

---

But any time somebody offers to ship you a Mac for a 50% discount off Apple's discounts at the Special Deals section... it's a scam.

Apple has minimum prices the retailers can sell current product for, that's why they tend to toss stuff in for free.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Keep in mind he may actually sell one to the real winning bidder, and scam any off-EBay purchasers.

I think he sent me the same "I'm a trustful guy" email that he sent you. His English isn't that great, it even seems written by the same guy as the Nigerian scam. It seemed like a completely canned response to me.

Your best bet is probably EBay (or the classifieds here), from a real seller. Do you need the fastest PowerBook possible? I've seen Titaniums (1 GHz) go for about or under a grand, and 12" Aluminums for less than a grand.

But for that money, a $900 (after rebate) 12" iBook (1.2 Ghz) from Amazon is a pretty great deal (no tax for most, free shipping.) That's what I ended up getting, plus I installed the monitor spanning hack no problems.

PS- Does Apple actually include an international warranty? From what I recall if you bring a unit from overseas, Apple USA won't have anything to do with it.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
MadMaxMedia

is this the email you got:

How I told you I cant send or receive money with pay pal now.
So i prefer western union.
i'm Excellent seller, good in communications and easy to work with me . I am not a scam artist, and the last thing I want to do is rob you.
I am a very honest man honest in every aspect of my life and like to believe that we have a mutual trust.look i live by the rules ...money to me is nothing in life it the trust that it count ,
If you try to scam somebody in life, later on life will scam you back.
I promise, you won't be dissapointed. I am a man of my word.You can count on me.About our deal I assume we are 2 mature persons who want to make a fair deal.
I understand you are alittle concerned from this point of view but this is not the case.I am a very good ebayer with a very good rating and my interest is to have very good deals on ebay so
i can have in the future good deals.If i will make with you a good deal,you will recommend ! ! me ,maybe ,to your friends or to other persons.For me it is very important to have permanent deals on ebay,
any negatiVe deal will not make good to me.More,i will provide 15 days money back warranty,i mean ,if in 15 days you will change your mind you will resend the item to me on my expenses.I think this is more than fair.
But i need to provide me the payment confirmation, prior to shipping in order to make the shippment.I hope you can understad me and also,i hope we can finalize this deal in the best manner.
You will have my personal quarentee you will receive the item immediately without questions... i promise.
i keep my word in every part of this deal..
mail me asap

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I got the same exact email. I think it has miscellaneous spelling mistakes in order to look like a authentically typed email, rather than a copy-and-paste job.

If it was a real seller who was copy-and-pasting responses to save time, I think he would have not used such a mistaken-ridden response.

I would give a 1% chance of someone actually receiving a PowerBook from this guy, and then only if it was stolen. Of course, if a guy is selling stolen Powerbooks from across the country, what incentive (obviously not moral) would he have to actually ship an item to you after you've wired him the money?

PS- If you need money to buy a brand new PowerBook, my uncle is having problems transferring money from his overseas account, and I would be willing to pay you a fee for assisting with this. ;)

parrothead

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2003
Edmonds, WA
Not sure if anyone said this, but if he is claiming to ship from Europe then he is absolutely lying to you. He said that he is using the USPS, aka United States Postal Service. Interesting that the USPS works for the EU as well. :rolleyes:

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
parrothead, I didn't catch that one, duh! Glad I seeked advice and followed my gut. I learned a lot in terms of what to look out for too!

Peace.

mag

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
just a thought

I remember reading somewhere that the number one most scammed thing on eBay was........Apple PowerBooks. I wouldn't trust this seller.

MagnumSSS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Sun Baked said:
Try the Apple store... Special Deals

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ GigE/ 15-inch TFT/ Aluminum - Apple Certified

• Save 16% off the original price

Original price: $1,999.00
Your price: $1,699.00

---

But any time somebody offers to ship you a Mac for a 50% discount off Apple's discounts at the Special Deals section... it's a scam.

Apple has minimum prices the retailers can sell current product for, that's why they tend to toss stuff in for free.

Do you have a link to this deal? I just went Apple Store's site and did not see that discount.

Also, I want to have @ 1Gig or slightly more RAM since I will be using this for Audio Recording and need a good amount of memory. I found a link to this 1 Gig memory stick for cheap. Any opinions? Is it a good product?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4158153

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
This looks like a scam to me too. The seller has gone from buying a few low dollar items to selling a sealed box PBook for $1000 under cost? I wouldn't touch it!

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
You have NO recourse with Western Union if you get scammed, which is why they usually request you use it.

I wouldn't buy this machine. BUT, for a great (and a bit old now) scam regarding eBay and a powerbook, read this:

http://www.mannequin3d.com/powerbook/

It is a great chuckle and story of scam the scammer, complete with gag powerbook and surveillance in Europe!

Also, read this:

http://scams.flipshark.com/westernunion.html

Cheers, and don't buy that book,

James

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
MagnumSSS said:
Do you have a link to this deal? I just went Apple Store's site and did not see that discount.
I already told you, The Apple Store US -- Special Deals.

I cannot give you a direct link, because they are session links that time-out quickly.

But look for this...

specialdeals_grey.gif

It's the link to Apple Certified Reconditioned Products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.